Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do with strawberry plants?

Hi

I was wondering what to do with my 'early' strawberry plants that have finished fruiting. I have 12 in a terracotta planter.

Thanks
    CADS

I cut the old leaves off back to the crown and let the new ones grow nice and healthy. If you don't want any new plants then make sure you keep on top of the suckers, and even if you do, I don't like to take more than one from each plant.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Just wondering: how did you achieve early strawberry plants?
      "I got a business card, 'cause I want to win some lunches. That's what my business card says: "Mitch Hedberg, potential lunch winner."
      Gift ideas... fruit baskets or gardening kit?

Comment

there are early, mid and late season varieties as well as perpetual fruiting. one early i highly recommend is 'honeyeye'. i have grown it for the last couple of years and it really is delicious

Comment

Trim off the dead or dying growth and look after the rest. Strawberry plants will produce good fruit for three years before starting to decline. As they're in containers, you may need to top-dress with extra compost, and possibly give liquid feed next year, but my second year plants in smallish jardiniere style pots are now producing luscious fruit.

Comment

Mellonmellow - another way to produce an early crop, especially if plants are container grown, is to bring them into the greenhouse in about March, so after they have had some of the cold weather - which is important, as they seem to need the frost to encorage flower bud development - and force the plants in the comparative warmth inside. This can, in a good year bring the crop forward as much as a month but two weeks is more normal. You do need to open the house to allow insects in to polinate while the plants are in flower, or do the job yourself with a paint brush.

I understand that chilling the plants, while maintaining light levels, in Feb through to the end of March or even April, is a practice used to extend the season at the other end by delaying the formation of fruit but I don't think it is a feasable home method!

Terry
            The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X