No announcement yet.

Raspberry supporting methods

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veggiechicken you're a star! Does the string/wire etc have to be very tight? And do I just whack the sticks in as far as I can or is there a recommended depth? Thank you!

Comment

Whack the sticks in as far as you can. My wires aren't tight, you just need something to hold the canes up/stop them falling over. I Don't tie most of my canes in, the row is about 3 foot wide. Make sure you have enough growing room, give a good distance between planting.

Comment

Whack 'em in so that they don't wobble - about a foot maybe?
        The string/wire doesn't have to be very tight, but taut enough that you can tie the canes to it and they won't move much.
        Two rows of string may be better if your canes are very tall.. I have 2 rows on the canes that are still in a straight line.

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
          Autumn ones aren't supposed to need support. Am hoping this is the case as I'm putting 20 canes in when they arrive, and no posts etc.
          My autumn ones get very tall on a very windy site and don't get any support. The odd one flops but can usually be wrapped back round a sturdier companion. Just to remind people about the trick of only cutting canes back by 50% in the winter so they start fruiting earlier. I've done all mine like this this year having done half to the ground and half half in previous years. I also thinned the canes out more than previously to see what effect it had on individual cane yields.
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by Nurseygreen View Post
            do I just whack the sticks in as far as I can or is there a recommended depth? Thank you!
            I reckon you need to use stakes that are rigid (i.e. not bamboo canes) as the raspberry canes will "lean" on the strings and if the stakes are flexible the whole lot will bow outwards.

Sturdy stakes (i.e. thick!) will help get the string more taught if that becomes necessary (later in the season when everything starts to lean!)

If you've only got a handful of Raspberry canes this will be less critical than if you are trying to support 100-yards of them!
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks all. I've seen some fence posts with metal spikes in the range so will get a couple of those and whack away!

Comment

You won't need anything as heavy duty as fence post. Some broom handles should suffice or metal poles. I have used straight thick branches before today but then again I'm tight..............
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  You won't need anything as heavy duty as fence post. Some broom handles should suffice or metal poles. I have used straight thick branches before today but then again I'm tight..............
                  They won't be treated though, so will rot?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    They won't be treated though, so will rot?
                    For 10 canes, I would change them every year.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I use old rotary clothes lines. They can be dismantled into an upright and 3 or 4 arms and you can use the clothes line to string between the poles.
                      Even better, they're often thrown out when they bend or snap and can be found put out on rubbish day.
                      If there's one thing I like - its Free

Comment

Thanks for all your advice! I managed to buy posts for wire fencing in the range job done!
                        Attached Files

Comment

That's (only just!) reminded me of a system we used to use (for Summer fruiting). Two sets of wires, on each outside of the row, that the canes were bent-outwards and tided to. They therefore arched a bit which helped with picking, but also the new canes grew straight up the middle and weren't mixed-in with this year's fruiting canes.

Autumn fruiting varieties, if they need any support (I don't bother) should just need corralling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurseygreen View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]54386[/ATTACH]
                            Thanks for all your advice! I managed to buy posts for wire fencing in the range job done!
                            They look great - I think I'll get myself some. Thanks for that.
                            .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

How much were they from the Range?

Comment

£4.99 each I think! They were 1.5m but also had some 2m long.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X