Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap VVG

Comment

He definitely said pineberries, a white strawberry that tastes like a pineapple. He had never heard of them until a while ago and neither had I. It seems they're fairly common. My wife loves pineapple so I was going to get it for her. She pays no attention to the garden other than to occasionally tell me to stop spending money on it. I figured with pineberriees and blueberries she might like it a little better.

Comment

Darwin, don't you have any pound shops such as Poundland near where you are?

Comment

Nope, not that I know of. I guess there could be some in Cavan (35km away) or Navan (45km away). I've always been given the impression that anything you buy in those places wont be much good.

I have berries to plant down there already, I now have rosa rugosa and I'm also getting, Goji berry €16 each, honeyberry €18 each and he said Cydonia Quince at €14 each would be good but I don't know anything about them. I'm pricing around for them and getting second opinions as he's so expensive.

I'm not buying any garden stuff any more without checking on here first.

Comment

Some information here for you about quince trees Quince / Royal Horticultural Society

Comment

They don't seem suitable as part of a hedge at all. I could get one to plant out in the orchard as I think I might have place for one more tree.

Comment

Have you thought about a medlar ? I have found it in hedges both in France and in the UK

David

Comment

I have a medlar but if you don't like the fruit, why would you?

A quince is great with cheese

Ultimately think about what you like to eat, before buying and with planting, trees will always spread and grow up - bare that in mind.

Put some compost in your rosa rugosa planting puts and keep watered. Honeyberry will need a n other in order to yield well.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I know mail order is a bit hit and miss for you in Eire, but it might be worth checking out, my dad ordered all of his hedging plants online.

Comment

Not sure about a quince with cheese but it makes great jam as does the medlar

David

Comment

I planted the rosa rugosa straight out when I got home. Was I not supposed to?

Comment

Originally posted by Darwin. View Post
                          I planted the rosa rugosa straight out when I got home. Was I not supposed to?
                          That's fine - bare root plants need to be planted asap.

Comment

The soil I planted them in is a mixture of well rotted grass and peat from digging out the pond. It's very wet at the minute but not waterlogged and it will dry out well enough when the weather picks up.

Comment

Did you get pink ones or white ones?

Comment

I don't honestly know, I think he said there was a mixture. It might sound a bit girly but I'd prefer if they were pink.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X