No announcement yet.

Livingstone Autumn Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, bought 3 Livingstone rhubarb plants (3 for the price of 2 from DTBrown) and planted them today.
    Anyone else growing it?

Comment

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, although I don't think of Rhubarb as an Autumn veg, and we very much "eat with the seasons" so not sure I would be a convert anyway - sorry!!
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

But you'd eat Summer raspberries and Autumn raspberries (I assume) so why not Summer and Autumn rhubarb?

Comment

Well for me its coz I expect to eat Raspberries in Summer and Autumn (and for Strawberries to have finished by then, and Rhubarb before that ...)

I don't grow Early Leeks for autumn, as I consider them a winter veg, and I don't grow summer sprouting broccoli (takes up too much space and we have loads of veg at that time!!)

But I can't actually come up with a good reason NOT to eat Rhubarb Crumble in Autumn, if it was fresh-from-the-plant (rather than flown in 5,000 miles and knackered and worn out by the time it got to the Supermarket shelf ... not that I feel strongly about that you understand? )

Comment

I think you need to go mad & get some grown Kristen..............
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

As if I need much encouragement, eh BM?

Comment

Update.

Livingstone rhubarb planted 15 February 2015.

Picked today from one plant

Attached Files

Comment

I also planted Livingstone at the beginning of the year. It came in a 3.5" pot and is now huge. Whilst it shouldn't really be cropped this year, I couldn't resist and took about 5 stems just to test it. Delicious! It was interesting to watch it grow through the Spring with the ordinary rhubarb, then stall mid summer, but come the back end of August and into September, has perked up and grown some more. Really nice to have something this time of year.

Comment

Livingstone Rubarb

Has anyone grown this Autumn-cropping variety? I ordered 3 crowns about 2 weeks ago, I'm hoping they're going to hurry up and arrive soon. Any tips for planting? I've never actually planted a rubarb crown before...

Comment

I bought some last year - read all about it at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...arb_67862.html

Comment

Yes I planted one last year, grew well. Will see how it goes before cropping this Autumn, as it has been slower into growth than my other rhubarb of unknown variety.
                        Last edited by WendyC; 09-04-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I bought some last year - read all about it at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...arb_67862.html
                          Thanks VC, I did a search but managed to miss the fact that the thread had three pages so only read the first one. I'd blame the wine but it's only my first glass

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                          Yes I planted one last year, grew well. Will see how it goes before cropping this Autumn, as it has been slower into growth than my other rhubarb of unknown variety.
                          Oh that's interesting Wendy, how did the livingstone compare taste-wise to your other rubarb? I was wondering if the heat of summer would affect it much.

Comment

Can't comment on taste as I think I mixed it with a sneaky late pulling of my other one.

Comment

Rhubarb tastes like rhubarb to me. In other words, they all taste the same when they have sugar and ginger added!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X