Mystery Apple

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuncanM View Post
    Did FB ever reveal the answer to this? (assuming that he knew all along?)
    I didn't reveal the answer because there didn't seem to be much follow-up interest.

My initial suspicions were a Discovery x Cox seedling.

After bouncing ideas between myself and Orangepippin (we sometimes conspire together) the likelihood seems to be that it's a Discovery apple.

I had some reservations about it being Discovery because:
    The apples are more yellow, less red and more striped than my Discovery apples, grown only a mile away from this tree.
    The mother tree is twice the size of the MM106's in this area, suggesting a possible seedling (which would fit with the slightly unusual appearance of the apples compared to mine).
    The tree is as large as a M25-rootstocked tree and twice as large as the usually-planted MM106.
    The tree also had a companion, which was about half its size - presumed MM106.
    (MM106 usually only reaches 1.5-2m in 10 years here, and 2-3m in 20 years; this tree was twice that size and more consistent with the M25's or old seedling-rooted trees in this area)

However, Orangepippin pointed out that although less common, it's still quite possible that someone around 1990 might have acquired a M25 tree along with a MM106 tree.
    This might have been particularly so if they were "discount" or "clearance" trees which didn't state the rootstock, or the buyer wasn't aware of the vigour difference of the two rootstocks, or perhaps the tree was mislabelled or was being sold cheaply because the variety and/or rootstock wasn't certain due to a lost label.

Comment

Follow-up interest or no, I wanted to know!! So I should have stuck with Discovery instead of Beauty of Bath. No more wavering in future for me
      Thanks FB, its been an interesting puzzle.

Comment

I was interested, just silently. I enjoyed all the info and discussion just too much of an apple novice to have a proper guess. Ask me again next year

Comment

So I was right - kinda. I don't think there was nearly the understanding of fruit tree stocks by non-professionals in the olden days of 30 years ago - the internet has supplied a lot of knowledge of these things.

Comment

here is a picture from last year of my Beauty of Bath apples - just to show how different they look.

Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X