No announcement yet.

My First Rhubarb This Year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have mountains of rhubarb on the end of the plot, about 5 clumps worth. I noticed that some of the black plastic at the far end was bulging the other day and investigated- the rhubarb is about 20 cm high and looks divine!! I guess that was self-forcing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
      Sorry VVG, couldn't tell ya. Only bought it last year so couldn't pick from it. I did buy it from Yorkshire though, as anything else would not be proper. Brandy Carr Nurseries. I bought a 2-year old liquorice plant too, which I have just potted up into a large Longtom from Yorkshire Flowerpots to make sure it feels at home.
      Did you go to Yorkshire Flowerpots factory shop? The bargains are out of this world. We're going again soon. Might go via Tuskie nurseries - aren't they the national collection holders?
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My rhubarb is of the tall and skinny variety - wish I was the same!! Not ready to pick yet.
        I have about 30 teeny rhubarb seedlings of Glaskins Perpetual. sown last year. Maybe this year they're be large enough to plant out and I can grow my rhubarb forest!

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
          Did you go to Yorkshire Flowerpots factory shop? The bargains are out of this world. We're going again soon. Might go via Tuskie nurseries - aren't they the national collection holders?
          No, I paid a fortune for it from a local independent garden centre!

Might drop in next time I'm up that way though.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

No, I paid a fortune for it from a local independent garden centre!

Might drop in next time I'm up that way though.
            We bought the equivalent of about £300 for a sixth of the price - highly recommended. You have to go through it all! But the bargains are there.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              We bought the equivalent of about £300 for a sixth of the price - highly recommended. You have to go through it all! But the bargains are there.
              I got one pot for about a sixth of £300.

I do like it though - it's from Yorkshire.
              At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I got one pot for about a sixth of £300.

I do like it though - it's from Yorkshire.
                The big fluted one? £11!

Comment

No, the big not-fluted one. £44.99!
                  Last edited by mrbadexample; 02-04-2012, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Still £11. You should make the journey. I bought both that day.

Comment

If I'd known, I would have done.

Comment

My two got-from-my-dad crowns are just about ready to pick, and my Stockbridge arrow is just peaking about the soil.

Stockbridge arrow has long narrow leaves (like an, um, arrow) which is handy if you have less space.... Not sure about yield as I only planted it last year.
                        If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

having my first rhubarb today in a crumble picked more than i needed really as when i was pulling one of the stalks a lump came off as well with great fat bulbs on it if i plant it do you think it will root?

Comment

..........was flattened by the wind blowing a double glazed unit on top of it!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Have you ever tried forcing your rhubarb, Farmer? When mine starts to grow, I put a bin over the top of it. It grows faster, and is supposed to be more tender. It does deplete the plant's reserves a bit so you're not meant to do it every year. I do though, but I'm not too hard on the plant for the rest of the year, so it has plenty of time to replenish energy. It might depend what variety you have as to whether it would work for you.
                              I had to break up my crowns last autumn because they were so choked they were bolting every spring and struggling to grow properly. I had so many small crowns that I didn't need to plant them all on so, having seen the article in Decembers GYO, I stuck several in three big buckets in my tunnel and forced them. They were absolutely fantastic, tatsed like no rhubarb I've ever eaten, so sweet even the OH didn't use sugar! I've just thrown them out having cropped for nearly 8 weeks, one to two meals a week.

I've two old crowns I can do this again with next year and I'll deffinitely be trying the less destructive forcing in my garden after that. I think I read you could force a crown every two to three years.
                              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                                ..........was flattened by the wind blowing a double glazed unit on top of it!
                                Where's the "dislike" button when you need it eh?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X