No announcement yet.

Autumn fruiting Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the peculiar spring has had a lot to do with your raspberry problems,any stems left from last year will fruit early,but being a primocane it is meant to fruit on this years wood,in november cut all stems right down to the ground,no 6ins stumps,and dont feed them,or all you get is leaves,they will put up fresh shoots in the spring,tie them in and just wait for that lovely flavour..

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
      If you ... leave them they fruit very early summer
      I don't do this, because summer rasps get maggoty

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
      in november cut all stems right down to the ground
      and I don't do this so early because hibernating beneficial insects like to snuggle up in the old stems over winter.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        I cut all my raspberry canes to the ground in late winter: BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - How to prune soft fruit
        You don't grow summer fruiting ones? Autumn only?

My easy rule of thumb is; cut a cane once it's fruited. Then there are no problems with working out whether it is summer or autumn fruiting.
        Last edited by zazen999; 23-09-2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          You don't grow summer fruiting ones? Autumn only?
          Yep. I don't do maggots (and they're really bad here, every summer berry gets infested)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

we have loads of small birds,all year,they must help with aphids/maggots as we get so few,we had 2 wren nests in the front and robins/tits and we always seem to have loads of finches zooming about,so 10years of no chemicals wont be doing any harm then.it is a real pain though when you have worked all year to find some bug has wrecked your crop,lost stuff in the past like that,thats when i started to feed the birds year round, and they are not daft,they stay where the food is...
            Last edited by BUFFS; 29-09-2011, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

My raspberries went in last winter (Glen Cova, Malling Jewel and Tulameen), didn't have much fruit this year and only pruned in spring. Would you suggest pruning back all growth again this year then check for the new growth going forward ?
              Last edited by broadway; 12-10-2011, 10:29 AM.
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X