Festooning!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festooning!

Whilst googling (I blame LJ!) for currants & raspberries I came across a way of keeping small (rootstock-wise) plum trees small in height. A technique called festooning which involves tieing down the trees branches to make a kind of 'weeping-shaped' tree.

Has anyone done this or any info on the best way to do it?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

There was a bit of info about this in the recently repeated Victorian Kitchen Garden, looked very interesting, but I cant remember exactly what was used, apart from the fact that the ties were tied to a circular metal rod which was placed in the ground surrounding the tree. I'm sure someone with a better memory or the DVD will be able to give a bit more info!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I believe these days you can just use clip on weights (looks like a weight on a clothes peg!)
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I saw something in a prog recently. Looks lovely. Very pretty in bloom I remember.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

And do you remember anything but how pretty it looked?

Although that is very encouraging!

Comment

Even I remember seeing it on a programme recently, but which one? Perhaps if we all have a brainstorm ........ ? Seriously, I remember thinking that the old way was quite laborious, but the new pegs system looked very ingenious and something quite easily achieved.

It must have been the Victorian Kitchen Garden.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I have done it to a plum tree. I have just tied a string to the end of the branch and than tied this to the trees post after pulling the branch down. It causes much better bud break and fruiting spurs and reduces the growing vigour of the tree as a bonus.

Comment

Oh I just knew either pw or supersprout would have 'the knowledge'! Got any piccies pw?

Do you mean tie the branches to the tree's stake? What did you tie them with? Geoff Hamilton suggests tieing the branches to its trunk with soft string in summer?

ps what is 'bud break and fruiting spurs'

Comment

I will post some up in the next few days SBP, I did it just like Geof Hamilton with soft string as the weighs let the branches waft about a bit too much for my liking.

Bud break is where you get literally buds bursting into growth and fruiting spurs are very short branches that have the fruit on. By having the branches festooned it makes the tree produce more spurs which therefore produce more fruit.

Comment

Forgot to ask when you festooned pw, oh and a sly reminder for some piccies?

Comment

Just before Christmas SBP but you can do it now. I will get some piccies in the week as the camera was kindly left at the dragon in laws by my good wifey.

Comment

Many thanks to you pw.

Comment

I'll be watching this thread with interest, and look forward to the pictures. I've got a plum tree that needs restraining. Does it work with apple trees too?
                          Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

indeed Poledragon, it does.

Comment

SBP, a picture of my 4yo Victoria plum festooned as promised.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X