Festooning!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I follow this method:

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks, BM, that's a lot clearer to me now, you're just making the basic shape by festooning, as with espalier, then treat pretty much as espaliers.

I was imagining you had to let all the new growth get long and bend it down every year.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

That's great BM, I was also worried that the weight of the bottles might break the stems if they were thrashed about in the wind. Its good to know they can be taken off when the branches have taken on their new shape.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Yes it's surprising how quickly the branches assume their new shape.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

What a fab thread!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I think I might try this with my plums. BM (or anybody else), do you have an idea how much weight you used. Wondered how big and how full your bottles were as something like a 2 litre plastic milk bottle filled with water would weigh 2kg (plus the bottle which is fairly negligible) and that seems a lot, don't want to damage the branch. Also, did you build the weight up or just put the full weight on from day one. Cheers
              Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Tie an empty container to the branch then slowly pour water in till you have the desired effect. You could also screw a lid on to stop rain getting into the container.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Tie an empty container to the branch then slowly pour water in till you have the desired effect. You could also screw a lid on to stop rain getting into the container.
                  Cheers, so you just went for the full bend right from the off? Weren't you worried they might snap?
                  Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Branches are really supple, you will know when you have the right bend. If you are worried, you can always pour some water out & add it later but yes, I went for the bend I reqd & have no snapped branches yet.

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
                      I think I might try this with my plums.
                      OH was reading over my shoulder and burst out laughing, suggesting I try too
                      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Brought back some old memories of past contributors in the early part of this thread!

Nothing really to add apart from I was wondering what would be the effect if using fruit trees with non dwarfing rootstocks? (Not that its stopped me experimenting in the past!)
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hey up Snadge. I did an experiment last year on an established Apple Tree. I pulled some branches down with a large hook so that I could attach the weights. Not only were the festooned branches easier to pick but they were more productive.

Comment

Just thought I'd pop a pic up of a tree I festooned last year, I think it has fruited better than expected as the branch is about a foot off the ground..................

Attached Files

Comment

A 2nd Apple Tree has just had its Summer haircut. I must say Festooning has increased the yield, all the fruit are between 4ft & 6ft off the ground................Did anyone else get round to trying it & how did it go?

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-07-2016, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I did not get any fruit trees in the end,and glad not,as they would have got neglected by the way my year is,but pleased your experiment worked for you,and thankyou for sharing.
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X