Autumn Bliss Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn Bliss Raspberries

Last year we planted ten canes of this variety which we bought in pots of five. We did not split them singly as they were all together in the pot. they did crop okay but should we have split them into singles and done the 18 inch between plants and five feet between rows rule The reason i ask is because there was very little info on the canes themselves and we have got another ten this year but as i emptied the pot for planting they all fell loose as singles. Any help would be gratefully recieved

Yes you definitely need to plant them individually as you say about 18 inches apart.
    [

Comment

Many thanks Lesley i thought that was the case as in the end the roots will probably do each other in trying to get nutrients. It looks like the fruit area is set to get even bigger on the allotment

Comment

Hi We made a fedge with raspberries they where all over the plot I lifted them up and put them in a line with suports
        Mrs D has put the photo up somewhere,
        Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
        Dobby

Comment

Originally posted by Dobby View Post
          Hi We made a fedge with raspberries they where all over the plot I lifted them up and put them in a line with suports
          Mrs D has put the photo up somewhere,
          Yes Mr D, we have piccies, not very good ones, but piccies none the less! I'll add them for you ok? Here you go!

Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

That seeems like some good crop of black plastic your growing ther Mrs D
            It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Yup, I agree they nned planting out individually, and might need supporting too which is easier done if in rows rather than cluster.

I love the idea of a raspberry fedge Mr D!
              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

You can grow a couple up a post, but you get a better crop from a row

Click image for larger version

Name:	Raspberries2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	2318242 Click image for larger version

Name:	Raspberries.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2318243
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpadragon View Post
                  That seeems like some good crop of black plastic your growing ther Mrs D
                  Lol GPD! We thought we'd cover up as much as we can after double digging, as its been darned hard work clearing it of 12 months of weeds (8' tall they were!), and anything thats going to help suppress the weeds until we are ready to plant out is ok in my book!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

The 'fedge' has caught my attention. I have just put in a row of autumn bliss along the border of the plot with the neighbour (18 inch apart) and have approx 8 more of Malling Admiral summer fruiting to put in also. A fedge would be a good idea as a dog (of unknown origin) has been poo-ing on my allotment and it would be helpful to keep it out.

Firstly would the plants, at 18 inch apart be likely to keep the intruder out (I would not have thought so and have considered posts and wires)

and..

as the fedge is on the east side of the plot, would the foliage cast an unhelpful shadow over the rest of the plot?

Thanks
                    http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

have some in my garden they grow very tall but the large berries are lovely but it is late sep early oct before they are ready

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                        Lol GPD! We thought we'd cover up as much as we can after double digging, as its been darned hard work clearing it of 12 months of weeds (8' tall they were!), and anything thats going to help suppress the weeds until we are ready to plant out is ok in my book!
                        It is a very good idea, lots of the urh nasties like couch grass, nettles etc
                        seem to come up to the surface and are easier to remove. If the weeds were that tall it good fertile soil you got there.
                        It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
                          Yup, I agree they nned planting out individually, and might need supporting too which is easier done if in rows rather than cluster.

I love the idea of a raspberry fedge Mr D!
                          Yep, the 'fedge' should look good when its pruned nack and in full growth / fruit next year, I cant wait to walk down it, harvesting as I go! mmmmmm!

Originally posted by BayViewPlot View Post
                          The 'fedge' has caught my attention. I have just put in a row of autumn bliss along the border of the plot with the neighbour (18 inch apart) and have approx 8 more of Malling Admiral summer fruiting to put in also. A fedge would be a good idea as a dog (of unknown origin) has been poo-ing on my allotment and it would be helpful to keep it out.

Firstly would the plants, at 18 inch apart be likely to keep the intruder out (I would not have thought so and have considered posts and wires)

and..

as the fedge is on the east side of the plot, would the foliage cast an unhelpful shadow over the rest of the plot?

Thanks
                          18" may be a little too far apart to stop the intruder BVP, but what about planting another row of rasps about 12" the other side of the fedge supports, offset by 9" or so, that way the gaps would only be 9" or so when viewed from one side or the other, may work, may not. Alternatively you could plant slightly closer together for a slightly reduced crop but better barrier, or perhaps plant something else between the rasp canes to help the barrier, just a few thoughts!

As to the shadow, would depend on the height, depth and bushiness of your plants, ours is to the NW edge of our plot, so any shadow wont bother us (and is next to neighbours compost bins, so shouldnt bother him either) and the cances are trained in such a way that it can still be seen through, so shouldnt be too much of a barrier for the light!

Originally posted by Grandpadragon View Post
                          It is a very good idea, lots of the urh nasties like couch grass, nettles etc
                          seem to come up to the surface and are easier to remove. If the weeds were that tall it good fertile soil you got there.
                          Yep, lots of folks have told us that the soil must be good if the weeds managed to grow that big! There's a piccy on the Newbie seeking advice / opinions / help - possibility of an allotment thread that shows Mr D peeking between the 8' weeds!
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Thanks to everyones advice I have 2 rows of rasps, Autumn Bliss and malling admiral, approx 18 inch apart and approx 4 ft between ( a bit short but It'll have to do!)

Attached Files
                            http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

Just a reminder for those with Autumn bliss raspers that its a good time now to cut last years canes down to the ground.

Be careful not to cut into any emerging shoots that may be showing themselves due to the mild weather.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X