Gooseberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gooseberries

Just received one of my three ordered soiless rooted gooseberries from a company. They say that 2006 was not a good year for this crop and that is why they have to wait to supply the other two. (Different variety). I only had one in my garden this year and did not fruit. That is the reason I ordered three more because I thought it was a fault of my own and liking this crop, I wanted to ensure 2007 would be more profitable. What was the problem with the 2006 crop, and has anyone else exprienced this problem and if there is one, how do you know what year is going to be a good year?

The dry weather during the summer caused all sorts of problems and gooseberries suffer with all sorts of mildews be it dry or wet weather. I have 8 bushes and picked not one this year primarilly to birds scoffing the fruit whilst it was still small. You may well have lost your crop in the same way without noticing it happening.

Do net your plants in the spring to prevent this from happening. All in all they are very hardy and bounce back from most problems. With 4 bushes you should produce a bucketful of fruit when they are mature.

Comment

I got about 1.5 lbs off my single bush this summer (which is less than usual) but had the usual problem of the leaves being stripped bare. It always seems to recover OK the following year but looks pretty bad in the short term - don't have much of a problem with birds nicking the fruit as they're far more interested in the red currant bush a few foot away!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm hoping to grow fruit next year, and have heard that gooseberries and currants do quite well here. Your discussion about gooseberries has raised a couple of questions I wanted to ask:

1. At what age is the plant mature (ie start fruiting)?
        2. Do you need more than one bush for pollination?

I'm an absolute beginner on this one, so any help would be appreciated!
        Thanks!
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Seem to remember I got a bit of fruit of mine the first year but it definitely did better the following year. Also, I've only got one so guess they're self fertile. As with many of my posts, other grapes will probably be able to advise better!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

I grow Leveller and Invicta gooseberries. They are both dessert varieties rather than culinary varieties but the Invicta is picked early while still firm to make jam and the Leveller is eaten as they come with ice cream. I got 9.5 lbs of fruit from one bush in it's second year!
            [

Comment

Thats interesting Lesley - thanks. I didn't realise there was a difference between culinary and dessert.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot about that difference. Mine are Invicta and have been used in pies, jam, a really yummy ice cream and mixed with other fruits and eaten with yoghurt.

Comment

Can't answer any questions, but we have 3 bushes and they produced well this year. That said, this was our first year at this house (gooseberries already well-established), so don't know how the harvest compared to previous years.
                  My leaves were also stripped by saw fly!

Comment

I had 3 bushes as well Leveller, Invicta & Pax (red one ) between the sodding sawfly, bloody birds and mildew I gave up in the end & dug them out. They used to produce quite a lot though aroud 10lbs per bush I bet on a good year but the last 3 years .....zip. Now I've moved plots I may try again but not sure yet.
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

The birds haven't really bothered with ours. Maybe because of the cats - though they rarely catch anything.

Comment

I had a good crop on the second year bush,don't know what variety,but it's a dessert(red) one.The new one was stripped by saw fly so I've moved it to a more open spot as the origional spot was sheltered by my raspberries, hope it blows the wee blighters away.

Comment

We had jays knicking off with them one at a time!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            We had jays knicking off with them one at a time!
                            Yeah...I've told Lesley before to leave other peoples gooseberries alone and pick her own! LOL
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

She's even more petite than I imagined if it was her!!!
                              Good one!!
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X