raspberry canes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Janet

Last year was my first year plantings of autumn raspberries and I got summer fruit s off mine too. Was a tad suprised!

This year they seem to be acting as per normal autunm raspbs though, with flowers only just appearing.
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

nobby

hi there every one im new to the forum ive just got a new allotment 3 months ago and ive got about 20 rasp bushes left by the last tanant,they are all in fruit at the moment what should i do about cutting them after they have finnished fruiting many thanks nobby.

Comment

Hi Nobby, you need to know whether they are summer or autumn fruiting varieties so if they have been fruiting for a while & are quite tall I would say they are the summer type. After they have finished fruiting, around September you should cut away any old brown stems which have had fruit on them back down to the ground. Leave any green, strong, healthy shoots which haven't fruited but cut some of these down to the ground if you have more than 4 or 5 on each plant.Space the surviving stems out & fasten to wires stretched between posts at either end of your rows. With autumn fruiting raspberries which would only be starting to show fruit in the next month or so you just cut all the stems down to the ground in the new year.Hope this helps.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Just like SueA says Nobby. The thing I always remember is that summer fruiting raspberries fruit off last year's wood, but autumn raspberries fruit of this years wood
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

many thanks suea and shortie ill give it a try

Comment

Give them a good Mulch of manure as well, they will repay you with fruit next year. If you haven't got any Muck, compost from the bin would be good or even some Fertiliser if your not Organic - the first two would be better though.
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

nobby

many thanks i will try and get some manure,my sister inlaw has an uncle with some horses would that be ok if its well rotted.

Comment

Hi

back to the original topic about the raspberry canes. Mine are fruiting now also but instead of the golden juicy berries i was expecting, i have got 1-6 normal raspberries per cane- suggesting that the canes i was sent were in fact normal summer canes that are fruiting in their first year...hmmm

has anyone else had this same problem?

Comment

Sounds strange Iainhawk, mine have just got a few pale green fruits showing at the moment but I'll keep an eye on them now that you've said that.

Comment

mine are a bit rubbish. only 8 out of 12 canes have got leaves, and tho we had some fruit comng its mostly disappeared. dont know if its birds or the drought?

Comment

Mine are definitely the Autumn golden coloured ones (see photo attached), only got 5 ripe ones at the moment but they went down a treat with some yoghurt at dinner!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi rasberry lovers
                          I have just become the pround 'mum' to 5 canes of Ample Glen, from Suttons. As a new mum I want to do the best by them - but I have failed already! I haven't be fit enought to go down the lottie and prepare their new bed and now it is far to wet and soggy to even think of doing it.
                          Do you think that putting them into the biggest plant pots I have and stand them in a unheated green house they will be ok until I get the chance to sort the bed out? I have never grown rasberries before, but we love them so though would give them a go. Please Help

Thank YOu
                          Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                          -- Alfred E. Neumann
                          http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X