raspberry canes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fiona b
    I just managed to get to my allotment yesterday to cut down last years autumn fruiting rasps( I am a working mum of 3 if that's an excuse). I know that this job should have been done about 4 weeks ago and this was ver apparent as the canes were starting to bud - I cut them down anyway. Have I completely decimated any chance of a crop this year?

Don't think so because you get new canes coming up from below the ground as well as the stumps you've left & I'm expecting to get fruit from 3 little 6in twigs (might be being over optimistic!) but they are supposed to fruit in the first year.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

It sometimes pays to be a bit late Fiona. With all the cold & frost that we've had this will ahve given a bit of shelter to the crowns so at least you know that you'vw cut back to a live bit now.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

I accidentally cut one in half - blast!
        Andrew
        So glad to see that the art of cursing in proper English is alive and well. But I'm willing to bet that it wasn't the first thought that entered your mind as your cane fell to the ground
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

thanks everyone.

fiona b

Comment

oops; deary me ; oh no!! ;dear dear; for goodness sake!!; bloomin typical!! ...all come to mind!!...
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos, wash your mouth out with soap!!
              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Leaves!!!! They've Actually Got Leaves!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos
                  oops; deary me ; oh no!! ;dear dear; for goodness sake!!; bloomin typical!! ...all come to mind!!...
                  My favourites are 'Dash it!' & 'Oh Sugar!' not what I actually say though!

Comment

How about :-

" I say, what an absolute bounder, I seem to have severed a rarsberry cane gufaw gufaw"

Don't suppose it works with a lanc's accent
                    ntg

Comment

Perfect for Cheshire!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos
                        Perfect for Cheshire!!!
                        In Cheshire isn't it more likely to be 'Good grief! The hired help has just severed the darn rarrsberry cane!'

Comment

Hi everyone

Here I am a newbie, although I have been subscribing to GYO since last year, and yes I have got the 'all gold' autumn fruiting raspberry canes. I did have to phone for them though as they were taking a long time to deliver.

When I did receive them, I did as per instructed with the canes, and wow yes one did start to show signs of life, until the other day that is. It had a pair of leaves on it, but now they have dried up.

Can anyone explain why this has happened and how to deal with the problem.

I have blueberries growing with no trouble at all, along with blackcurrants, blackberries, redcurrants, rhubarb, apples, none of these are showing any signs of distress, bugs, or anything else, they are putting on an amazing show at the moment and I am quite proud of them, but not the raspberries, any suggestions please.

Many thanks
                          Jay

Comment

Hi Jay, welcome to the vine. Love the Avtar is that what you look like

Anyway, your raspberries, it could be that the leaves have been damaged in someway either the cold that we had a week or so ago or maybe a combination of wind & sun. We've had a mild winter comparativly this year and any early growth could have been checked by cold snap that happened recently & it may be this. I would just keep your eye on it for now and I'm sure this won't hurt anything in the long run.
                            ntg

Comment

Hi all

What a great bunch, so it would seem. I am also a newbie as of 9:57 today. Was looking for a good veggie growing book and found this site. Well, I would like some advice about my 'glen moy' raspberry canes (rooted). I was told when I bought them that they would fruit this year, but then read that fruits are borne on canes from the previous year perhaps I am misunderstanding the terminology but does this mean I will have to wait till next summer...no surely not?

Comment

Hi Katherine

Not sure if Glen Moy is Autumn or Summer fruiting, but the general rule is this:

If it's autmn fruiting, you will get fruit off this years canes which you then cut down in the following Feb. If they are these types, you should get fruit this year but it will be less productive than next as this year it's developing a root system as well as trying to fruit

If they're summer fruiting, you will get fruit next year off this years canes. While you're in a season of fruiting, new canes develop that give you the following years fruit and the ones you get fruit off in year two then get cut down. And so the cycle goes..

Hope that makes sense and helps...?
                                Last edited by Shortie; 03-04-2006, 09:48 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
                                Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X