Strawberries from seed.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All
    Is it ok to start strawberry seedlings off this late in the season? I'm hoping to overwinter them in a cold-frame or indoors. Will the first blossoms need to be picked off?
    Thanks in advance

Comment

I have some seeds i forgot about after planting them two months ago, just been to look at them & they still havn`t made any progress... watch this space...!!!
      It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Comment

If your interested, as of Mar 21 Lidl will be doing 6 strawberry plants for £2.99.
        Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

I grew alpines from seed last year: a kit discounted to £0.50 in Home Bargains.

Covered them with clingfilm and lft under cover in propagator and then under clear plastic in grennhouse. planted out July last year in sunny spot and watered in dry spells. Flowering now... weekly feed .
          Last edited by Madasafish; 14-05-2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your advice on this topic, I'm glad I asked now! I think I'll give the seeds a try next year...no more room at the moment. I have the plants at home in the back garden. We used to have them at the allotment but we didn't get many berries as some swine helped themselves to them, so we brought them home. A lot of the plants are last years runners and I'm amazed at how they have taken off! Thanks again. Cheers.
            I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Comment

I'm trying some from seed, both Alpine and "normal". They were hard to germinate but I have a few little plants growing now, it will be very satisfying to eat off them next year should they make it!

I bought a big planter not realsing how hard they were to get going and as I wanted to see it being used I bought the 6 for £2.99 plugs from Lidl yesterday just to get it going.
              The handle for some had El Santa written on which I knew from reading here was the variety, however the one I bought had Ostaria written on. I assumed that was the name of the variety too, but I can't find any info on the net about said variety so I'm wondering if that was actually the make/brand name of the plastuic handle???
              Does anyone know?

Thanks
              Keith
              http://www.keithsallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X