No announcement yet.

growing melons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried Charantais melons last year. The seeds germinated no bother without a propagator - never use one. The plants grew great and flowered prolifically, but no fruit set even though I tried to help the pollination. They yook up a lot of space. I'm not going to bother with them again.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi

My first ever post here. I was actually sending off for some chile seeds towards the end of last year and was intrigued by some seeds the guy was selling called tiger melon. When I saw a picture of this melon I thought I would have to get some seeds and attempt to grow some. If I have done this correctly there should be a picture below;

They look gorgeous. I realise it's not going to be easy but I'm going to give it a go. I have started germinating the seeds this week so fingers crossed.

I do have a very small number of seeds left. The germination rates for the chile seeds from this supplier have been outstanding. If anyone would like a couple of tiger melon seeds please get in touch and I will post them. But I really do only have about 10 seeds left.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjo View Post
        Oh dear, now I don't know whether to bother at all!! So nobody grows "Sweetheart" then which my book says is small and very tasty. Think I'll have to price up the seed and work out if it's worth it. Thanks for all the info everyone. (And sorry Purplekat for butting in to your thread!!)
        I gre sweetheart last year and got nothing at all but i think i planted it too late. i planted a couple a few weeks ago in the greehouse and they are both doing well now after a slow start. Both have second set of leaves. havent decided where i'm going to put them yet. we have an old greenhouse that is going to have to get skipped at the end of the year, so i might try them in there as nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
          I gre sweetheart last year and got nothing at all but i think i planted it too late. i planted a couple a few weeks ago in the greehouse and they are both doing well now after a slow start. Both have second set of leaves. havent decided where i'm going to put them yet. we have an old greenhouse that is going to have to get skipped at the end of the year, so i might try them in there as nothing ventured, nothing gained!
          Thanks Scottishnewbie. I eventually found some seed and sowed them. Didnt get one seedling from them. Bought a galia melon in Tesco reduced to 30p. Took out the seeds (have got hundreds by the look of it!!) and those that I sowed have all germinated. How's that for s**s law.

Comment

I've read through these posts but no one seems to say what soil/compost they use once they plant out....does it need to be really rich or just chuck the contents of a growbag in a whole plant away?

Comment

I presumed they'd like similar treatment to courgettes last year and would have done well out of Prescott font blanc (realseeds) - which was planted outside -if the ants hadn't got to them when I went on holiday

Comment

melons

Where I live I am lucky enough to be able to grow melons in the garden. My book says I should grow them on a mound, but it doesn't say how big or how to support them. I need help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                  but I shall NOT be beaten by a fruit.
                  Can't believe I missed this line. Sorry Boble.

Anyhow - I have one blacktail melon which has done nothing for 3 weeks now - 4 leaves and it's been the same pretty much since we got back from hols.

Hmm. I can't say I'm hopeful about my melons.

Comment

I've got Sweetheart and Ogen melons in the polytunnel... first year!

Plants bought from GC, as I didn't think we'd have the tunnel up and ready. Sweethearts (2) are in a growbag, being trained up the supports, but the Ogen's are smaller and still in individual pots.

Have basically just chucked them into the polytunnel and watered when the soil was dry. I'll be chuffed if I even get a flower TBH, as it's my first time growing them!

Comment

i had limited success with 'sweetheart' last year, this was in the tunnel with extra heat provided by a cloche, i managed two fruits each from two plants.
                      ive got the outdoor wonder as well this year which im going to grow in my cold frame on top of a hot bed. yet to see if i can afford the space in the tunnel for the sweet heart seedlings again i might grow them up a trellis...
                      soil wise supermum lots of well rotted manure and compost then weekly high potash feeds when fruits have set

Comment

I planted honey dew from seed about 6 weeks ago now, i planted 4 seeds in small pots of seed compost, after a week or so i had 3 small plants, A fter two weeks i potted them on and they are doing really well, they are about 1 foot tall now. They are in my conservatory where they have been since i planted the seeds, the only things i have done with them is water and spray with fine mist spray, as they like it humid like cucumbers but all is going well.
                        If anyone else has managed to grow honey dew then i would be grateful if they could let me know how they did please.
                        Greenwitch
                        xxx

Comment

My melon seeds are now doing very well - couple of leaves and all that - oops, dont know the make or model but having read the above posts will hope that I make a success of my first melons!
                          Thanks for advice
                          Bernie
                          Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 29-05-2009, 10:07 PM.
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

One of my Ogen melon plants has 2 small flowers on it! Woo!!

The tunnel has been so hot (40 degrees today) that the doors have been wide open for ventilation, so plenty of time to get insects in there to pollinate them!

Comment

Originally posted by butterflyomega View Post
                              Where I live I am lucky enough to be able to grow melons in the garden. My book says I should grow them on a mound, but it doesn't say how big or how to support them. I need help!!!
                              I'm in Spain too. I've just planted my melons out - grown from seed from Marshalls, so they ought to do well in the sun here. Round these parts (northern Teruel), they grow them in pairs and just let them trail over the ground (cleared of weeds and other plant matter). No netting up or supporting whatsoever. At most, they train them to grow in a spiralling form so that they take up less ground. I'm told to expect two melons per plant. I've mulched around the base of the plants with hay to keep the moisture in. Nine seeds out of ten germinated and they're looking healthy at the moment. Famous last words...

Comment

i live in spain and i sowed ogen ages ago and today its got a fruit behind a flower, i planted 3 in a 30 cm pot growing up a strong bamboo and its had flowers for ages
                                i think ogen would do well in england
                                i gave ogen to somebody else and one plant has got six fruits

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X