No announcement yet.

growing melons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, I might have a go without a heated one then, didn't have any problems last year with the squash so hopefully it wasn't just beginners luck!
    (for some reason I seem to be good at getting seeds to germinate but have a problem getting them through the seedling stage)

Comment

Originally posted by purplekat View Post
      (for some reason I seem to be good at getting seeds to germinate but have a problem getting them through the seedling stage)
      Damping off can be caused by having the compost too wet with little air circulation.

Comment

If you are looking for a good propagator the Vitopod is very good but not cheap. Greenhouse Sensation Online | Propagator | Vitopod Propagator

My wife got me one for Christmas after getting fed up with all the windowsills in the house getting crammed full of pots of germinating seeds every spring!!!

Galileo

Comment

Hi
          I grew sweetheart last year in a basic propagator on the windowsill. Then transplanted to a larger pot and covered with a plastic bag. Planted them out under a make-shift cloche. I got two fruits last year but not very big. Put it down to the bad summer so I'm going to give them another go this year!
          AKA Angie

Comment

Now I have very little experience in growing ANYTHING so you might want to ignore me (most do hehe!!) but I grew a couple of melon plants without any trouble last year.

Just started them off on a windowsill indoors, then planted them out on my lottie, and got two fruits from one, and three from the other. I was really chuffed, just to be able to say I grew them, but I guess in reality the space they took up could have been better used for another, more prolific crop.

I will grow a couple again this year, because I have the space, but won't be sowing the seeds for ages yet.

Good luck purplekat - come back and tell us how you get on>?
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I shall be trying Charantais again this year. They grew well enough, but didn't flower at all. I may have started them too late though.
              Then the rabbits got them.

Mind you, we do get real summers here.......
              Tx

Comment

I agree with Galileo the Vitopod Propagators are really excellent for all seed germination, I use mine a lot especially at this time of the year.

On Melons, I grew 4 plants last year of the very old variety Blenheims Orange and they were absolutely delicious, nothing like the supermarket ones. We ended up with about 12 good sized fruits which were full of juice.

Gardening should always be a pleasure and never a chore,only someone forgot to tell the weeds

"If you don't have a plan, a goal for yourself, then you are almost certainly a part of someone else's"

"The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dream is you"

Comment

Interesting thread on the growing of melons. What date does one sow the seed for a}an un heated greenhouse or b}in the garden?

Has anyone any experience of "collective farm woman" from The Real Seed company?

Do they need any extra care than cucumbers?

Comment

Growing 'Green Nutmeg' again this year. I start the seed in the greenhouse at the end of month - greenhouse isn't heated except to keep it frost free. Planted out into the tunnel and harvested at the end of July. I do have a Vitapod, but not using it for the melons, only toms and peppers etc.
                    Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Outdoor melon varieties... which one?

I have noticed Marshall Seeds now have their own outdoor variety of melon called OUTDOOR WONDER (says gives 3 fruits per vine). Looking around for other suitable outdoor ones I checked out The Real Seed Catalogue someone mentioned above and found two that looked interesting, i.e. COLLECTIVE FARM WOMAN and MINNESOTA MIDGET

Has anyone tried the Collective Farm Woman? How does it perform? What does "several fruit per vine" actually mean? Has anyone done a comparison between any of the above three varietes?

I notice T&M Seeds don't have any of their varieties suitable for outdoors in stock this year. Maybe seed multiplication stock failed last year with the cool unfavourable weather...
                      Last edited by GardeningMike; 25-03-2009, 06:32 AM.

Comment

I bought a pack of cantalouppe seeds on impulse today and am going to try propagating them on thre window sill and then growing them entitirely in the greenhouse. i have to say though I a nervous about geting nothing heheheh.

My squash were a disaster last year ( outside ) so they are going inside this year too

Cheers Mas
                        '3000 volts says the ducks
                        are mine foxey !'

Comment

I planted some melon seeds from the Italian kitchen seed section in B&Q, I just put them in some compost, tied a sandwich bag around the top and put them in my mini greenhouse and I've already got at least one seedling growing in there! I'm excited to see how it goes, I absolutely adore melons.
                          http://ecoprincess.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by GardeningMike View Post
                            Real Seed Catalogue someone mentioned above and found two that looked interesting, i.e. COLLECTIVE FARM WOMAN and MINNESOTA MIDGET

Has anyone tried the Collective Farm Woman? How does it perform? What does "several fruit per vine" actually mean? Has anyone done a comparison between any of the above three varietes?
                            I'm growing both this year in my polytunnel and if the weather looks good will try outside as well.

I spoke to Ben at real seeds and he said they really do grow in our summer but will be much better in a polytunnel or greenhouse in a poor summer.

The thing to remember with stuff from real seeds is that they grow the stuff they sell and if it doesn't do well for them they don't sell it. They are located in Wales so I'm assuming as I'm in warmer Bristol I should be alright.

Comment

I'm having a go with a couple of melons in my cold frame this year, because it was empty all sumer last year, so seemed like wasted space!
                              I plan to sow the seeds this week, at the same time as my tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes.
                              I'm up in yorkshire and have to hold myself back from sowing seeds and planting out too early!!

Comment

My melon is flowering! I just unwrapped it from the bedroom curtain pole and moved it to the porch and a bigger pot with more head room. How do I pollinate it? It only has one flower open at the moment.

Tam

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X