Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pollination group is our pear tree?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pollination group is our pear tree?

We were given a pear tree a few years ago, it's about 3m tall and 1.5m wide so it's well established. Last year was the first time it had a full covering of blossom, but we didn't get any fruit. The few that appeared to have been pollinated dropped off before they got to full size. I suspect our main problem is the lack of a pollination partner. Could somebody help identify which pollination group it is? The tree is effected by pear rust, but from what I've read it shouldn't prevent all fruit forming.

The photo was taken today, 26 Mar, we're in North Lincolnshire. I visited a local garden centre yesterday to see what pear trees were at a similar blossom point. I checked the varieties when I got home, they were a mix of group 2 and 3. When we had 2 fruit 2 years ago they were small and green with a little red spotting.

Could anybody suggest which pollination group the tree is? We're intending to buy a patio tree to help pollination but we want to make sure we're buying an appropriate variety.

Thank you for any help.

That's quite far ahead for a pear at this time of year, so it's probably a fairly early group.
    If you're buying a partner for it, I'd go for group 2. The groups overlap enough that a tree can pollinate adjacent groups, so a group 2 tree will cover you for group 1-3 flowering times.

Just be careful not to accidentally buy the same variety you already have, as they will not pollinate each other.
    Last edited by ameno; 26-03-2024, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DM77 View Post
      We were given a pear tree a few years ago, it's about 3m tall and 1.5m wide so it's well established. Last year was the first time it had a full covering of blossom, but we didn't get any fruit. The few that appeared to have been pollinated dropped off before they got to full size. I suspect our main problem is the lack of a pollination partner. Could somebody help identify which pollination group it is? The tree is effected by pear rust, but from what I've read it shouldn't prevent all fruit forming.

The photo was taken today, 26 Mar, we're in North Lincolnshire. I visited a local garden centre yesterday to see what pear trees were at a similar blossom point. I checked the varieties when I got home, they were a mix of group 2 and 3. When we had 2 fruit 2 years ago they were small and green with a little red spotting.

Could anybody suggest which pollination group the tree is? We're intending to buy a patio tree to help pollination but we want to make sure we're buying an appropriate variety.

Thank you for any help.
      DM, Google pics of Beurre Hardy fruit. That's what mine is and it has a slight red flush to it. It's not too early for flowering if it's this variety, I have fully open pure white flowers on mine and I'm not that far from you in Suffolk as the crow flies. For further comparison, the fruit on ours were a lot more silky than, say, a Conference pear, a lot less of that gritty texture, hence the "Beurre" I guess.
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X