redcurrant dormant?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redcurrant dormant?

Anyone with a redcurrant bush, have yours all got new buds and/or leaves yet? My small bush is in a container and doesn't yet. It did by the end of February last year. Hoping that the cold and dry weather just means that it's a bit slower this year, but I can't see green when I scratch at the bark, so I'm worried it's dead!

I haven't pruned it or fed it since summer, should I have? Thank you for reading.

If you can't see green when you scratch the bark (assuming you scratched deep enough, at least), then it's definitely dead. Or at least, that branch is definitely dead.
    Test all of the stems as close to the ground as possible. If all come back brown, it's dead, I'm afraid.

It's possible the cold got it over the winter. Although currants are usually very hard, being in a pot makes plants more prone to freezing.
    Alternatively, something vine weevils may have eaten its roots.

Comment

Thank you for your reply! Will have another look when this snow eases off.

Comment

My currant bushes are very slow this year and aren't in a rush to put out leaves. My Blackcurrant has buds but its not in a rush to burst open yet, The Red and White Currant bushes are definitely staying tight and asleep for now, they are not dead as I've checked also the Red Gooseberry bushes are only just showing a couple of green shoots so I think the combination of a slight warmish spell and then cold sometimes frosty snaps is making them stay dormant. Give them time and they will wake up soon we just need more stable conditions.
        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Thanks for giving me some hope, Muddy_Boots! Will update if/when I see signs of life. My gooseberry and blackberry are waking up but they are in the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by redfruit View Post
            Thanks for giving me some hope, Muddy_Boots! Will update if/when I see signs of life. My gooseberry and blackberry are waking up but they are in the ground.
            Checked my current bushes (mine are all in containers) and they are all waking up so you should see signs of life, my Tayberries along the fence are also waking up with visible green shoots as well.
            The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X