Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing fruit, does it matter what varieties/cultivars growers keep?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here you go apple detectives, have a go if you fancy.
    Blossom starts quite a deep pink , going to white flowers, some of it just starting to drop now, picture attached.
    I found some fruit I'd forgotten about in the garage, no good for eating as now gone fairly wrinkly but hopefully can help with ID and probably means it stores quite well?. I was told the tree was a cooker but actually I can eat them so maybe somewhere in the middle, is that a thing? The tree probably doesn't get full sun until lunchtime if that makes a difference. I seem to remember picking maybe late September early October. Let me know if any more info will help with ID and I'll see what I can dredge up.
    Attached Files

Comment

Look like Cox - try giving the fruit a shake, and if you can hear the pips inside make a faint rattling sound, that'll most likely be what they are.

You can cook any apple, but some types are a bit sour for eating raw, so they are often classed as cookers - also because cooks usually peel their apples, cookers tend to be larger, since you get more flesh for less work if you peel large apples :-)

Comment

Thank you Nickdub. It shall now be known as a cox.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
          Yes of course - I'll look forward to it :-)

As VC mentioned, if its not too much trouble take some photos of the flowers on the trees around now please, as the blossoming time will also help with identification.
          These four pictures are of my unknown varieties.
          i'll post them again with their respective apple in September time.
          Good luck apple I.Ders
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MyWifesBrassicas; 24-04-2019, 04:56 PM. Reason: Adding good luck
          sigpic

Comment

The 3rd pinky one might be Bramley - notoriously a strong grower and tends to generate most of the fruit spurs near the tips of the branches - looking forward to the fruit challenge :-)

(PS cox = Cox's Orange Pippin of course)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X