Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i underplant a dwarf apple with hostas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must remember to grow some veg at some point too.
    He-Pep!

Comment

I've got three dwarf apple trees which I was intending to underplant with various herbs and lupins this year at some point -- lupins because they're legumes and do nitrogen fixing, the herbs for both attracting pollinating insects and dissuading pests.

Comment

I have strawberries underneath my trees but they aren't as productive as the plants in their own bed.

I've also got a hedge of chives under the honeyberries, a wall of garlic chives started off underneath the apples which is going strong and have just started a new wall of Black Isle Blush chives on the other side underneath the pears and the stone fruit.

You could go a mixed planting route - perennials like chives, thyme and marjoram plus some self seeding annuals like poached egg plants which should attract pollinators and predators.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X