This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
    I was stocktaking at work, but had a major systems crash, so ended up abandoning the ocunt and am now taking my normal day off tomorrow instead of the one I arranged for Friday
    Mrs D, you might want to change the order of the letters around the end of the first line
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

• Trotted down the lottie with my wheelbarrow full of climbing beans and an achocha. Planted the latter against the fence - 2 there now - and put Borlotti Lingua de fuoco on a longish A frame and Ruth Bible and Bird's Egg each had their own wigwam. Got enough canes for one more wigwam which will be for yin-yangs but they aren't big enough to be trusted out on their own yet. Did a bit of weeding and rescued 2 frogs from the deep underground water tank. I have to keep it weeded. The tank is next to my plot and everyone will pass and see what I'm up to!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• planted last of the potatoes.spinach, purple sprouting, perpetual spinach seeds and some more sald leaves.

Dug up yet another toy buried by neoghbour;s dog inmy raised bed and trying to work out how to stop it doing it again!

Will be out in garden with large stick and bucket of water all day otherwise!

Comment

• Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
          Mrs D, you might want to change the order of the letters around the end of the first line

Oooops!! Thanks for pointing it out Scarey! It was a typing error, honest!

Today we were at the plot for 10am, and got back at about 8pm, a lovely hot, sunny day with a light refreshing breeze that kept us both from overheating, glorious! (Tho Mr D says I look like a Rock Lobster now, eek!)

Mr D continued digging over the beds on our new plot, whilst I sorted out the inside of the shed and had a darn good tidy up! It is now possible to see exactly what we've got and where it is, so should make it a bit easier to find things! I also moved the shelving unit out of our first greenhouse and reassembled it in the sheltered seating area at the side of the shed on the new plot, thus allowing us a sheltered area to harden off the seedlings prior to planting out!

After this I hoed the onion and garlic bed, then set up the watering head on the hosepipe and turned it on to give everything a really good water, and also fed and watered inside the greenhouse after hoeing the weed seedlings in there!

Next I dismantled the 'heath robinson' coldframe on our half plot and brought all the bits back to the new plot to store away for future use, then pruned the grapevine thats growing across the front of the shed, I cant wait to see if we get any grapes from it this year! After doing this Mr D had manage to reach the halfway mark with the digging over of the beds on the new plot, so he stopped digging and came to help me!

Next we trimmed and fitted the cardboard bike boxes I recycled from work to fit the first 2 beds on the new plot, and transplanted the 10 courgettes that we'd planted on the half plot 2 weeks ago into here. After that we fitted cardboard to one of the larger beds on the new plot and then transplanted the 15 assorted squash and pumpkins (that were planted out 2 weeks ago) from the half plot!

I did take some piccies of the new plot first thing this morning, but the 'puter had to be reset a few weeks ago, and its not now recognising the camera or the bluetooth link from my phone, so atm I am unable to download them, sorry!

I'm back at work tomorrow, but Mr D is off, so he's going to try and sort out the greenhouse (and the lean to glazed part on the shed) on the new plot tomorrow, before continuing with the digging ready for me to move the sweetcorn and squash bed, plus the 2 beds of onion sets from the half plot at the weekend!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• This evening I planted 5 strawberries and 14 french beans with my 12 year old daughter. Hope the slugs and birds keep off!

Comment

• In the last two days I have...
              - dug and sorted out rows of soil
              - potted on a number of seedlings
              - planted outside...
              Dwarf french beans
              peas
              courgette seedling
              carrots
              sweetcorn
              - Planted in the greenhouse
              Peppers
              Toms (Golden Sunrise)

So excited. Tomorrow I'm going to do some salad.

Glorious weather again -I have quite a good tan (for me, a blue person) but my house is a tip. Ah well. Housework does not make me happy, but gardening does

Thanks again to all those who have given me such great advice. And reading the threads just inspires me. You're all fab! I hope I'll be able to give such great advice soon

Comment

• Weeding.
                Watering.
                More weeding.
                More watering.
                Decided the PSB is finished - it is still sprouting but the flowers open almost straight away.
                Next job - dig out the PSB, check the roots since I think some of them will be clubbed, remove the bindweed and volunteer potato plant, sow more beans & peas. Love beans & peas!
                You are a child of the universe,
                no less than the trees and the stars;
                you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• Not much planting, but yesterday for tea I picked our own salad. We had 3 types of lettuce leaves, beetroot leaves, coriander, mizuna, spring onions and radishes - first serious picking (although we've had a few leaves for sandwiches over the last few weeks) Yum!
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

• Planted out the pumpkins and last couple of courgette plants yesterday. Put in supports for the outdoor cucumbers and tied them in, they are about 6in high now. Had a look at the autumn planted garlic and it has started to bulb up so will start using it direct from the ground. Planted some early leeks, the plants were small but running out of pot space. Planted out a third row of dwarf french bean plants, still got one tub of plants to go in. Three rows of spuds have been planted to close together and I am having trouble earthing them up, had some empty tubs so cut bottoms off and put one on each plant on the middle row. As potatoes grow am earthing up the tubs with compost, this leaves a bit more room to earth up the two outside rows.
                    Recieved a free blueberry (Chandler) and a £10 voucher from T&M should have been 3 goji berry plants but they seem to have run out of them. Fortunatly I had bought 3 goji berry plants so was not to dissapointed. Potted on the blueberry. Tomatoes are just showing the first truss of flowers. Tomatillo also coming into flower.No sign of flowers on either the peppers or aubergines. Took the fleece off the brassicas and weeded and watered, put the fleece back over the cabbages but left it off the braccoli and calabrese. Seed sown onions seem to be growing better and bigger than the onion sets and will definitley be growing from seed again next year. Will be harvesting the last tub of potatoes sown just before Xmas, should be enough for at least two meals. Well worth the effort, will do an extra tub next year.

Ian

Comment

• we had our first salad leaves the day before yesterday. Did new sowing today as we eat salad every day and it's a welcome challenge to keep up with the planting to ensure the constant supply! Hoping to plant out courgettes later if the weather stays fine. I'm also hoping to get some pea shoots going in shallow plastic trays.
                      I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

• Had to meet a man from the council pest control division at 11.30am. He dropped a 10Kg tub of rat poison off to be used at the allotments. Not a great fan of rat poison but some of the guys have chickens and we are close to houses so the rats must die!
                        Luckily I ain't seen any around so I don't personally have to use it.
                        I had allotmenteers around me like bees round a honey pot. Went back to work and returned to the allotments later when things had quietened down.

Mixed up three wheel barrow loads of my John Innes type compost and planted some more tomato plants in buckets. Only growing 3 Gardeners delight this year as I like to eat them straight from the vine only.....hence the name.
                        I have 10 Shirley, 10 Roma and 5 Tamina as well as the GD. When I'm feeling a bit more energetic I'll pot up some more Roma methinks.

Had my first strawberry from my plants in the greenhouse and must admit it was a bit bland!

Potted up four perennial caulis which had got leggy and been decimated by greenfly. Put a bit of soapy water on the greenfly but hope i haven't killed the plants. Put them in a sheltered spot to recuperate.

Watered all my indoor and some of my outdoor plants (like to grow them hard if I can, that way they will send down roots to find their own water). Most of the watering was done from the numerous water butts I have dortted around the plot
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Yesterday, went to the lottie in the evening and took Himself for a look around. It was far fuller than last time he went! He erected another wigwam for the yin-yang beans (still a bit small to go out) while I planted out 10 Sub-Arctic Plenty toms in one bed and 6 Tiger Tom and 2 Black Krim in another. There's just room for 2 Golden Sunrise which I'll take down today. He watered (and rescued 2 more frogs from the tank - or maybe it was the same two I rescued the day before? Not known for their brain power, your average frog (or even Prince for that matter )

Today I will be mostly planting flowers.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Had a relatively productive day yesterday given the gloomy weather. Sowed some more baby spinach as the slugs had helped themselves to the majority of my last lot. Also sowed some kohl rabi as the first lot never germinated - not really giving off vibes of success here am I????

Sowed the following into tubs: chantenay carrots, white lisbon spring onions, sugar snap peas (to replace the ones that never germinated or where devoured by mice) and normal peas for their tips. I also sowed some more salad leaves as my first sowing didn't seem to like the cold then the extreme heat and are now a bit weedy and just asking to be pulled up.

I planted out a spaghetti squash in the hope he will trail all over the fruit bed and rockery and a courgette 'tricolour' (although this is false advertising I'm sure as they have all been yellow so far!) in the hope that he may climb up a frame. Not sure if he will but the way he has grown makes me think he could give it a go.

Decided to leave the rest of my squash and courgettes in their tubs as the chicken manure on the soil needs to wash in a bit more and there is no hurry.
                            RtB x

Comment

• Last night, the toddler came in with a lettuce leaf - she wanted to bring lettuce to the creche for her afternoon snack!! So we duly went out and I picked her a couple of nice leaves, and then went back in to get the tub to collect some for my own lunch today (which I had done the night before with the toddler just watching). I have to do the picking yet, as the lettuces are still small so its very selective pickings.

Then I went out and watered everything as it still hasn't rained here.

The plan for the weekend (assuming OH has time between correcting exam scripts and it doesn't rain) is to bring a bunch of tomato plants to the plot, dig over their space and plant them. Hopefully also sowing some sweetcorn seed direct, and possibly planting a couple of squashes and maybe squeezing in a few more calabrese plants somewhere. With a harvest of PSB and another cabbage or two (might call into my grandparents en route home with one).

The toddler already has her backpack packed for this outing - paper, crayons and a teddy to join her on the rug for a picnic!! She wouldn't finish breakfast this morning until it was packed

Comment

• constructed tubing over mini beds painted and then covered with netting.tied in peas and stuck a load of canes in then watched gardeners world and now know how to construct a pea support properly!put some french bean tender green in mini beds and also some yellow kinghorn wax. bit scared about this week as temparatures at night or dropping and i am going away to berwick upon tweed for a week and oh is in charge!
                                joanne geldard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X