This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
    By then it was time to road tax Kazzis car on the way home.
    Deffo reccomend doing that online Piglet. I had endless trouble after taxing mine at the Post Office, kept being told my car was untaxed though it had a disc!!!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Was working this morning but managed to get out on the lottie this afternoon. Turned over the top of the compost heap and remulched with plenty of old newspapers. Did a bit of weeding of the asparagus and raspberry beds. Was far to wet to do any digging which will have to wait till we get a few dry days in a row. Took some pictures but haven't had time to put them on the blog yet.Sowed some carrots in a deep plant pot. (Early Nantes) Checked the propagator and the peas and onions are all through, will leave them in there for the time being. Checked the seed potatoes and they are chitting nicely. Autumn sown onion set are not doing very well and will probably end up on the compost heap. No sign of the shallots on the lottie shooting but ones in pots under cover are doing very well.
      Ian

gojilottie
      Last edited by gojiberry; 12-01-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

After getting all the potatoes out for chitting in the morning, and tackling some of the overgrown hedge, had a VERY successful trip to Woolies - Red currant, Black currant, Gooseberry and Tayberry (plus 5 other plants for the decorative part of the garden) all for £1.99 each. Good plants too, names varieties.

Then to Wilkos for some nice dahlias at £1, plus some trays and modules.

All in all, a very good day
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Set potato tubers out in eggboxes on a cool (north facing) bedroom windowsill for chitting.

Cut first Purple Sprouting Broccoli of the season - Garnet variety. Always a pleasure.

Tidied up PSB and kale plants - removing yellowed leaves and checking for slugs.

Harvested pot of greenhouse-grown beetroot. Tiny roots, but rather nice for a January treat!

Cut handful of greenhouse-grown lettuce, claytonia, land cress, rocket and corn salad.

Checked November sown broad beans and garlic (in pots in greenhouse & cold frame). All growing well so far. Both about four inches high now. Just need a little water a couple of times a week at the moment.

Thought about doing lots of other things but... well, you know what it's like.

Comment

Another wet day.

Sunday (today)Managed in the only dry hour of the day so far.. to put new purchases into shed (pots, trays etc..)

Sowed Carrot Adelaide F1 into two large pots in greenhouse for early crop. (hopefully).

Put staging up in greenhouse.

Pruned Standard Gooseberries, pruned standard Blackcurrant, pruned Blueberries finally.
            Started to rain again.. so inside for warming coffee and watch Countryfile.
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

today i took the little dog over the field. we saw 2 young deer and 2 buzzards. fixed some guttering to the greenhouse. sowed some leekes in a pot and also did some winter gem lettuce and put in propagator.
              my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

I paddled to the greenhouse to get one seed module tray and sowed some onion seed. Hope I have better luck than I had with Piglets shallots last year.

Far too wet, windy and disgusting to do anything else.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

In my quest to be a Domestic Goddess, and in the absence of anything other than cold and rainy weather, I have:
                  • made 6 small jars of seville orange marmalade (suspiciously runny despite best efforts of me, Shirlthegirl and Scarey55. No matter, taste BRILL)
                  • Finished bottling the wine - kept a not-quite-full one out for further taste testing, others upstairs out the way to mature for a few weeks (or until my willpower runs out)
                  • Bought 4 tier mini greenhouse from woolies (half price)
                  • Noticed that although sp onions all looking perky and at the 'crook' stage, no sign whatsoever of the ailsa craig onion seed sown on the same day. Have fished the seed pack out to do a germination test - it is old seed.
                  • Managed to find an hour this afternoon whilst it wasn't raining to go to the Hill and dig a parsnip, a couple of leek, and about half the remaining miserable-excuse-for-a-carrot and turned the soil over.

Venison, mushroom and bean made-up casserole in the oven - smells great, but have possibly overdone the garlic...?

Comment

today i put up another mini greenhouse which i kept in storage, the zip has broken now!!
                    i planted blueberry and cranberry to grow in pots, the blueberry which i got from woolies, was pretty much twigs stuck in soil so not very happy about it, will try and root them if i find out what to do.
                    also potted two vines until i can plant them out in their final places on the plot.
                    went through my seed to see what i can swap on here.

Comment

Picked 2 swedes for tea and did some weeding in the sun [yes, it shone between the rain for several minutes - it was lovely and warm].
                      Bit the bullet and bought some 5 for £10 stuff from B&Q and some parsnip seeds [will be swopped in a few weeks as no way do I need 300 of them - although I suppose only 10 might actually sprout].

Comment

Wahey, some of my onions have sprouted! In the absence of my garden record book (don't know where it went at the end of last year) I am recording the seed sowing here!
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Yesterday, I finished making the Bramble Jelly that I started the day before.
                          Today, I finished making the Seville Orange Jelly that I started yesterday.
                          I've not started anything today, so won't be finishing it tomorrow...

Comment

I have checked a very nice website called GYO and I discovered plenty of new people to talk to ...
                            appart from that I have "stolen" the very nice Dandelion growing outside my house and transplant it right into my garden!
                            Checked the compost, made sure it was protected against all this rain.
                            Start to evaluate my budget for all the seeds I wish to buy ... thats it!

Comment

Hi Everyone
                              Having received a message from whoever is in charge of this saying I've not participated in anything on here for a while I've decided to give an update.
                              Since taking over my new lottie in September I have managed to clear some of the brambles, started digging and planted broad beans which are now growing!!! Progress has been slow as I've been ill and it's been very frustrating - so much the brain wants to do, so much the body won't let me do!!! Still, I've done some planning, read loads, made a list of seeds and now that I'm getting better will be able to start work again, allbeit slowly. I've discovered that the plot has been empty for about 5 years and was covered in carpet by the previous owner so once that is pulled up hopefully the clearing and digging won't be too bad

Comment

The Roonash root trainer I ordered some days ago arrive today and it triggered my itchy finger syndrome...I am going to sow some mangetout seeds tomorrow as they are early type but just 12 to 15 of each as I don't have much space left at the windowsill...
                                Managed to scatterd some dry manure on my near future cucurbita site this afternoon when the rain kind of stop and has cover them with some black plastic...
                                Momol
                                I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X