Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today we sowed lots of beans, cucumber, squash, courgettes and more salad leaves including rocket and a host of lettuce types. A few heritage pea varieties were also sown as were the climbing french beans and pea varieties that we are now seed guardians for.

Lots of celeriac seedlings were pricked out and to make room in the home greenhouse for them all, about 80 tomato plants were moved indoors, ready to be moved to the tunnels in the morning.

Yesterday we planted cauliflower, brussels, red and green cabbage and globe artichokes out on the plots, all well hardened off.

Time for a bite and a bath me thinks.

Comment

• Went up the garden to my plot and uncovered it, to find hardly any weeds, but did get rid of some that were there then so dug in some fish, blood & bone then tilthed for an hour (looks pretty good to me), covered over the plot again, next week i am gonna add more compost!

went into the greenhouse and think that i put too many toms in my growbags, so lifted them off the floor and picked out the poorest specimen and am now happy, planted my gardeners delight In a trough, as thought i would try the two methods to see what works well.

Planted some more strawberry plants into large pots for outside, they are liking the sun in front of the greenhouse.

Was about to weed the flower beds, when it lashed down, so carried on making Roast chicken dinner and read the sunday paper!! hoovered up, ironed, replaced the mop head and checked the broom that is up my bum!! (a multi-tasking woman is a goddess).!!!

SS

Comment

• Whats in your compost

Bought two bags of compost (peat free) to do some potting up.
        Got half way through before realising one bag was NOT for lime hating plants (check the small print).
        Started using second bag and amongst its contents was 2 bits of plastic bag,and a broken cd !
        I had to sieve the lot.
        Made me wonder if this compost recycling biz was why all the roadside shrubs have been cut down in sheffield ?
        Last edited by g51065; 14-04-2008, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Saturday cleared out cellar and garden found empty pots, seed trays and bamboo poles, yesterday took everything including pots with compost in, to Lottie to empty on the plot planted strawberry plants that were in pots with the others on plot makes approx 20 plants now, lots of strawberries hopefully !!! Hoed weeds between onions and broad beans dug a bit more of plot ready to plant more seeds etc in, peas up couple of inches that were under cloche, no sign of potatoes yet but I'm sure they will soon.
          Son phoned to tell me he saw a big plastic greenhouse the size of my shed which is 8' x 6' ( or there abouts ) for £20 not sure weather to look at it.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

• Moved a shed for a friend with the Landrover pickup in the morning.

Got to the allotment with the intention of planting my onion sets when the chap from one of the other plots sez "That shed I said you could have, can you pick it up now?" Certainly says I, and I shifted my second shed of the day. Needs a bit of work, but it's for nowt so can't grumble!

Still managed to get a 4 foot by 12 foot bed of onion sets in the ground!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Yeaterday, I half killed myself by completely re-arranging the utility room (washer, dryer, freezer etc) so that the tree surgeons could get through with several half trees (it's the only way into/out of my back garden). Then did 4 loads of washing, re-upholstered one of my kitchen chairs, planted 2 pots of potatoes (Charlotte & Anya) sowed a dozen cabbages, tidied the dining room and sorted out some more washing. Before finally kaffling onto the sofa at about 8.30pm.
              Today I've sh1t shovelled in the back garden (flippin dog, who'd have em?) cleared loads of kids junk in front & back garden, swept the drive (mud pies ) and hoovered & tidied the front room.
              The tree-men are now chopping huge lumps off the top of my trees in back garden
              Last edited by SarzWix; 14-04-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• I planted out my second row of Markana peas but decided against risking my Heritage Lancashire Lad peas in the cold mucky weather - even though they're hardened off nicely. I potted them on instead into decent sized square pots - will give them another 10 days before making them face the Great Frightening Lottie.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Today I planted out lots of module sown dill, flat leafed parsley and corriander. More cauliflower plants went out and were netted over and finally the first 50 tomato plants went into the new tunnel and greenhouse.

As soon as I free up pots they are reused at the moment.

Comment

• On saturday, I potted on 3 courgettes (golden dawn) into 3" pots, and 4 squash sunburst to 3" pots as well. Sowed some flower seeds for the back garden (stock, night scented stock, and something blue and cottage gardeny :blush: ) in a seed tray. Moved the salad leaves I sowed a couple of weeks ago to the minigreenhouse.

Not a lot of progress, but I hope that the LA will have access to the plots sorted later this week and I can then sow the last of my onion sets and the 2nd early pots.

Comment

• These last 3 days, i've tried hardening off 3 off 6 tomato plants, but i've now been allowed the kitchen window sill, because the 3 going outside have stumped growing whilst the 3 upstairs still in the same pot have grown another couple of inches since . Their not going back outside for a while now. People weren't kidding were they about it being too cold for them.

Looking to a bright future, i've also been to b&q and bought 10 canes, may need more i think. I've been designing my support structure that may turn into a mini green house Its not going to be just canes and string

Comment

• spent several minutes dancing happily around my melon seedlings which were at deaths door last week, but seem to have pulled through.. then realised I have no plan at all about hot to support them, or indeed where to support them..

Comment

• Went down to the plot with the last barrow of garden compost. Took the shears and clipped the path between ours and neighbour's. Should get brownie points both from plot partner Ali and neighbour (the man who operates the list.) However, the final untended plot has has a row dug - maybe I'll get another half next year?
                          Potted up some pinks.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Spent 3 hours this morning, loading the barrow with shredded tree (the one good thing to come from my mutilated trees) and plodding down the lottie path, tipping onto paths, then back up, re-loading, plodding down path, ad infinitum Three loads, then rest, three loads then brew... I've only shifted a scant half of the pile, and I am PAGGERED!!
                            Thank goodness for rain & hail, had to stop & come home. I'll probably never manage to get off this chair again

Comment

• Today I sowed our runner bean seeds in small pots indoors.
                              I also went to the garden centre and got some french climbing beans. They too were sown today in pots.

I checked the rest of my plot today to find that some of my broad beans are just breaking the soil surface and a few of the spinach seeds have germinated.

Comment

• My clubroot resistant cabbage and cauli's have finally showed there heads above the soil.........I was beginning to wonder. Watered everything that needed it, lit the stove, picked some beetroot to see if it is still ok, feels ok.
                                Was about to toddle of home at 6pm when the sun made an appearance and it became quite pleasant out. Decided to 'make hay while the sun shone' so I did an hours hand weeding! One good thing about saturated ground is that the weeds come out a bit easier!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X