Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have been watering greenhouse stuff last few days - mother nature has taken care of the outside stuff
    today potted on 3 rocket, 2 celery, 1 tomato - will plant rocket and celery outside when it's big enough to resist slug attacks
    not much more to do right now - admired the seedlings popping up in the greenhouse then stood in the rain admiring everything growing outside ....
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

• Just weeded a few handfuls and tidied up a bit today. Pulled up the remaining garlic to dry as one bulb was rotted. The rest were fine though. Staked the JAs. Looked at the wilting foliage on the Anya tatties and tried not to salivate.

The squash plants and the courgette are flowering nicely and I have what look like 4 teensy squash beginning to develop.

After the mr's efforts with the lawnmower, the compost bin is steaming and smells of silage. Added some rougher stuff and mixed it up a bit.
      You are a child of the universe,
      no less than the trees and the stars;
      you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• Stayed in out of the rain and howling northerly wind. Feels more like March or April than middle of June here today!
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

• Watered toms and cukes in tunnel then put on my oilskins and planted out 1200 Tornado leeks. Am happy to report that that is all my leeks in the ground (until tomorrow when I'll have to replant some after the crows have pulled them out).
          Checked my first early tatties (Lady Christl) - should be ready to bag and sell in about a week
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• My sunflowers were getting a batering from ....

gale force winds and rain...so got drenced to the skin..

Fixing them to stakes and cross poles

Geo..

Comment

• Picked my first runner beans and peas today, was worth getting wet through for
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Got to the plot for about 11am this morning, first day without torrential rain of our hols, so took the chance to harvest the overwintering garlic and first of the overwintering onions! All these are now drying on the wire racking in the back bedroom!

We also harvested the Pentland Javelin First Early spuds, as the haulms had completely died back, not a bad yield of about 30kilos from 2.5kg planted, and most of them are in perfect condition!

Mr D then spent a good few hours weeding on plot2, along with cutting back the paths with his new shears, before he harvested about 1 1/2lb of blackcurrants!

I weeded, then weeded some more, then weeded a bit more, then did some harvesting fro tonights tea!

Took some piccies of the harvests and the plot, updated the blog wiht the harvesting piccies, now off to cook tea and then post some of the plot piccies on our blog!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• Went to allotment at 6.30am with the wife and kid. Me and the wife erected the shed and not a bad job either considering the way I dismantelled it from my mothers garden. Went home at 8.15 to get ready for work. Went back to allotment a 6.30 to sort the inside of the shed out, I even potted a few squash's ready to put into the ground in a week or so. Also took a couple of pics.
                  Last edited by waynebeddall; 26-06-2007, 09:30 PM.
                  http://plot267.blogspot.com
                  "I've got a couple of acres"

Comment

• Took advantage of a wee bit of sunshine after work to sow the last batch of spinach, picked and ate some of the previous batch of spinach (stuffed into chicken breasts with soft cheese and garlic - yummy!!), fed half of my tatties in containers and left the other half to see how they fare, repotted my basil and ikkle chilli (cant compete with Mr and Mrs D there!!), had a feel of my broad beans but still can't feel anything inside the pods but fed them just in case. Finally, ran indoors ahead of the black clouds and started thinking about what to plant so I can carry on picking into the winter.
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

• Yesterday, I chopped all the tops of my tatties - not worth trying to keep them going any longer. Think I might have to do the same with the outdoor tomatoes but will wait a bit before doing it - keep hoping that the blight will stop! Put up my new windbreak netting round my 'brassica bed' to keep the cat and the bugs out. Pond netting as a roof should keep the flutterbies out (I hope). Determined that we will get stuff we can actually eat this year. Dusted everything with a bit more Derris to stop the flea beetle having a scoff. Admired my six asparagus spears Wished the rain would go away and the sun come back out - it is cold!!!
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

• Last night after work OH and I went to the lottie and put up our second large (homemade) clouch around our second brassica bed. The first bed and clouch are doing well - a few holes in the fleece, but are now bug-free and happy and healthy looking. The brussels are going great guns, and we're starting to get the first broccoli flower heads developing on the purple sprouting broccoli
                        We also did a bit of much needed weeding!
                        We have a few baby beans developing and some tiny baby courgettes are appearing. So hopefully we'll soon be able to eat something we've grown!

Comment

• I went to the Hill and pulled up about half of the onions (we've had eelworm, and these ones still look a bit stunted) in the hope that it will give the others a chance to swell. Sowed the sets too close!

Did a load of weeding of the onions (and generally), and today I've updated the blog and will be sobbing onto the chopping board later when I chop and freeze 50 onions!

Comment

• As there was no rain this morning, I managed to lay two runs of membrane under the new fruit trees and into that planted the last 3 crown prince pumpkin and the first 5 butternut squash. Two more runs of membrane will see the job done and the carnival squash in.
                            Also on the planting front, 40 swede plantlets were planted out as were some lettuce (French Varieties) and the last runners went in as fillers where plants had failed or been eaten.

Strawberies, razzers, red currants and another huge trug of broad beans were harvested. I see a summer pudding coming on for the birthday party.

Comment

• Oh, don't cry Hazel....
                              Piggy darling - you're scaring me! Could I have my Summer Pudding without the Broad Beans? And given that I've got to sleep with him, they give Trousers terrible wind.....

Well now, I called into my NOO allotment site this afternoon, not knowing which one it actually is? Bear with me, it's a self-inflicted 'guessing game'. I am to meet the current plot-holder in the morning, and I just wanted to try and guess which plot I've got from the description he gave me over the phone. And, I think I've got it cracked!

It also gave me the opportunity to source the site of the water to all plots, and to talk to Pat, who says that some people use hosepipes (!) and no sheds are allowed. I'm wondering just where on earth the 'Little Girls Room' may be?! Get real Wellie girl...

So, after that in the morning, I'm calling round to the Site Administrator's house to pick up a copy of The Rules, and no doubt, I'm sure I'll have a few questions of my own.... I am SO excited!

I picked about 8 ripe Sungella and Sungold tomatoes this evening for a smoked fish salad (if you ever find a tub of Smoked Mussels, buy them, you won't regret it...) along with a cucumber and little gem lettuce. Mmmm.

Thank you for listening,

Comment

• Oh, and the other best bit of today is that Admin Dave is going to send me a complimentary copy of 'Let's Grow Veg' magazine, to say "Thanks" for linking GYO to our blog. Which actually, blew me away. Thanks Dave!

(Have YOU seen that White Fiver lately?!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X