Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up some filled hanging baskets from my brother in law on the way home from work and hung them plus two hanging baskets of tumbling toms at home.

A work colleague gave me two melons which have been potted on and will be planted out next week. My recently sown swedes and cavelo nero are now pricked out into modules and will grow on for a few weeks before planting out.

The cucuzzi seedlings are growing by the hour, but then they did take so long to come up and will be ready to be planted against the arches by mid month. I am so glad that half of plot 3 is an orchard and can be underplanted with pumpkins and squash as there are lots to go in over the weekend.

Comment

• Spent a very theraputic hour potting on 10 various tomato plants from jiffies into pots.

Planted up 4 hanging baskets with homegrown balconi yellow toms (thank you, LJ!), marigold and petunias (thank you tiby!).

Sowed 10 spring onion seeds in each of 6 jiffies - that's a bunch-in-a-jiffy, I reckon and I hope to beat the eekworm with this growing method (thank you PW and others for the 'module sowing' tip!)

Never done any of the above before - but I'm jus' lovin' it!

Comment

• Went to work super early this morning (well, Mr D woke me up so thought if I go in early and get my work done then I can come home early!), then got caught behind later than I wanted when my Area Manager called in unexpectedly! 2 1/2 hours unpaid overtime! Grr!!

Finally got home, changed and down the plot for 515pm! Watered, planted out another 2 gherkins, harvested the first Mange Tout, another cucumber and some red onions for a Stiffado tonight, Mr D did some weeding whilst I started to prepare another bed on plot2 for planting! Pulled up our first planted turnip, as the foliage had died back, to find cabbage root fly maggots all over the bottom of it! Grr!! Just hope the rest of them are ok!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• I too, like MrsD was up on the plot before work and planted out a good gathering of bulb fennel, some T&M trial lettuce and a bit of carrot seed.

The blue tits on plot 1 have fledged as have the robins which were nice to see. The tits have about 2 yards to fly into my plum trees to gather caterpillars for their young, well one good turn deserves another I think. For an experiment I have module sown turnips (3-4 seeds to a module) to see if it works well as that then can be another succession crop ready to fill a gap.

The marshmallow strawbs are fruiting well and the aromel everbearers are promising great things for later in the season and the fruit cage looks like and advert for ribena, its stuffed with fruit.

Comment

• Planted out 250 courgette Defender and 90 courgette Taxi ( a yellow variety), sowed 9 x 50m rows of Swede Brora and 12 x 50m rows of Turnip Purple Top Milan.
            In polytunnel, sowed 1 x 54 cell tray of each lettuce (Clarion, Littlle Gem, Charita, Amorina, Saladin, Salad Bowl - both red and green) for succession planting, 2 cell trays each of Pak Choi Ching Chang, Calabrese Marathon, Florence Fennel Ruby and Swiss Chard Bright Lights.
            Watered tomatoes and cukes and outdoor toms in baskets.
            Killed three slugs and two wabbits.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• OH and good friend Bob finished covering the green house with plastic sheeting this evening, three cheers to them!
              I've been for some retail therapy - to LBS Garden Warehouse (watering trays, more weed fabric, pots, more pots, labels, more seeds ) and our tiny local garden centre for more plants that I don't have room for..

Got home, started to pot up some plug chrysanths which were delivered while I was out, and promptly ran out of compost... Doh! So had to resign myself to housework, and did a bit of washing. Hopefully OH will lug some home tomorrow so the rest will survive!

Think I've over-done it on the lottie lately, been incredibly tired last couple of days so done nothing at all since 4 o'clock, and not much planned tomorrow!

Comment

• No gardening yesterday, just a bit of putting things away before departure on Monday. Weather here contin ues to be awful, was warm yesterday pm and evening was lovely - was out with chums - but this morning the valleys are full of the grey and wet mist. Looks grlorious at the back of the house looking into the woods but the front is grim - more bad weather forecast for today.

A chum will cut the grass for me when we're away, save me having to scythe it when I get back.
                TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

• Yesterday, dug out half of the triangle bed that has been ongoing for the last year (really heavy clay soil so cant plant straight into it). Will finish it today as compost/topsoil is coming on saturday to fill it in.

Today hopefully will see the arrival of my new proper greenhouse 6ft x 12ft which I then need to erect after I have taken down two of my plastic greenhouses and laid some weed control fabric down.

Comment

• Yesterday I potted up my plug chillies - hot stuff! I have 19 - and the 'emergency backup' I sowed have just come through - another 5! Chillied cornflakes anyone?
                    I then tackled the front border. If I'd shrunk the kids, Honey, they'd have thought they were in Jurassic Park! The horsetails were substantial, nettle rooted between old shrubs, the Spanish bluebells I've been trying to eradicate - but I made a bit fo progress. The border is intended to be a woodland planting eventually, with lily-of-the-valley, solomon's seal, prims, English bluebells, leopard's bane, wood anemone etc.
                    Sowed 6 pots of moss curled parsley - both to eat (love it with nearly anything) and for wine.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• not much for me to do today lol. so far I have just put some drainage holes in some pots and done a bit of watering. also pulled a patch of really overgrown grass of the ditch. and put a load of peelings and old tea bags in the compost heap. I will probably cut some grass later if the weather cools down a bit lol.
                      oh and I ordered a few packets of seeds so hopefully they will arrive soon. squash, lettuce and spinach seeds.
                      Last edited by Salina; 08-06-2007, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Today I picked my first strawberies of the season and ensured others were lifted off the ground to help prevent pest damage and rot, allso cropped broad beans to spur on further production, had a dig under my spuds to check progress..... I,ll leave em a bit longer.

Comment

• Well the greenhouse arrived in all its flat pack glory. Will get the base sorted out tonight (after dismantling plastic greenhouses currently on base) and start it tomorrow weather permitting. I have 12 x 150l bags of compost coming tomorrow to fill in the triangle bed I have almost dug out so I will be able to plant some more broad beans and peas for a crop later in the year, my rapidly growing extrasweet sweetcorn (so it is far enough away from my minipop sweetcorn), earth up my maris piper spuds (greatly in need) and some other bits and bobs (as much as I can fit in and still get round to weed etc). Got to repot the chillies over the weekend as well and pot on my remaining tomatoes.

I think I will go back to work on monday for a rest.

Comment

• I just love hearing about what everyone else is doing!

I have had a a really great day. I slogged home from the shops with yet another load of compost in my rucksack, sowed West Indian Gherkins, more tomatoes, some spring onions (probs a bit late but you never know), corn salad and a B&Q bucketfull of carrots. Also got some cheapo plug plants at Wilko which I've put in flower pouches and nailed to the fence for a bit of colour. Then I converted an old outdoor candle holder into a 'cut and come again' herb grower for the kitchen windowsill.

Claire
                            I was feeling part of the scenery
                            I walked right out of the machinery
                            My heart going boom boom boom
                            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                            I've come to take you home."

Comment

• Today I pricked out 2 trays of Cacti seedlings ....... carefully Oh yes, I took some cuttings of one of my Clematis as well.
                              Last edited by nick the grief; 08-06-2007, 07:23 PM.
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

• Potted on 90 chilli peppers (Apache, Cheyenne and Jalapeno) and 40 Capsicums (Bell Boy and Poseidon)
                                Started to put netting on fruit cage at estate garden - I hate sowing net !!!!
                                Rat

British by birth
                                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X