X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    We are each growing with a different end game in mind. Peter Glazebrook is really quite an amazing man and if he was to divert from size to quality, he would be growing amazing onions. he really does know his stuff.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    I'd bet real money on Ap knowing his onions more than that Peter Glazebrook chap...........who needs his PG tips

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    Trouble is AP he is now a 'lurking' member here code name Plantation.

Potty

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Crikey matey, make sure you get to go with him .

p.s. Don't tell him about us. All's fair etc.

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    AP not yet for me either.

This year was pretty much a draw, so as usual my very competitive mate has yet again thrown down the gauntlet.

I am not the least bit worried that he now has Peter on the end of his telephone and an invitation to pop over to Newark to see how it should be done.

Not worried at all after all I have the Vine

Potty

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    I'll be looking for great things from my protege next year. Just to worry him though, those who aspire to grow to world record size - 18lbs 1oz - will be starting around now.

I won't be sowing till late December
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    And so it begins.

Last night my mate TK aka Plantation dropped a small brown envelope in my hand. NO NO not that sort of envelope.

This one was labelled Peter Glazebrook, large onion seed.

Better start reading this thread again

Potty

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    AP this thread should really be made a 'sticky' the advise given would be useful to one and all.

I didn't miss your advise, all the shall we say 'special' onions were supported. I had a few stakes left so tried with some off the others I had going. To say I was surprised at the difference it made would be an understatement.

Potty

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    sorry matey, I should have told you that on the way along. I think that the onion thinks its done all the growing it's going to do when the head goes over so I stake my show onions right up to the end.

Well done with your efforts matey. I'm proud of you

Just read through the whole thread. Good innit !! Potty,I did tell you on the way along. |You musta missed it .

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    Sorry to say Martin it's already got my mate, I'm just being dragged along for the ride.

Potty

Leave a comment:

• Martin H
    replied
    Nice work, Potty. But, in the words of my favourite Bristol band,

"Take care, my friend,
    that the onion doesn't get you in the end!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6YRR0Q-ILg

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    Thanks AP we might be a winner yet.

Oh and here's to next year. My mate TK who started all this has already been in touch with Peter Glazebrook of Newark for some seed.

Potty

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    sorry matey, I should have told you that on the way along. I think that the onion thinks its done all the growing it's going to do when the head goes over so I stake my show onions right up to the end.

Well done with your efforts matey. I'm proud of you

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    Praise indeed but really all I did was follow the advice given on this thread.

One thing I will do in future is support the foliage of my onions. This year as well as the big onions I supported a selection of red onion sets and shallots. All supported onions did better than the others.

Potty

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    Lovely job Potty Get them in the Virtual Show?

Mine have been feeble, both from seed and set. Largely due to running out of water on the plot at the crucial point of them starting to swell. Heigh ho, try again next year

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X