X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacks10
    replied
    Sowed some spring onion from seed today. Last year did them from bulb so let's see what will happen!!!

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I failed miserably growing spring onions in my thin sandy soil, I might give them a go in the raised beds next year, no room this year now. On the plus side I seem to grow pretty good carrots.

Leave a comment:

• happyhumph
    replied
    First tray of spring onions growing strongly and starting to thicken up, second tray doing well also. Time to sow a third row when I get a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Nafets
    replied
    I planted four rows in November I think, most of them came up and are growing strong now. There is however a few gaps in the rows where nothing wanted to grow.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    After much gnashing off teeth thinking my Onions would all fail, I finally planted some out in the raised bed today, not many, but enough for a few feeds if they come good.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I used to grow show sized for fun, but on proudly giving my wife an onion that weighed over 5lbs, she asked " what the heck am I supposed to do with that", she did have a point lol.

Leave a comment:

• Teabag
    replied
    Ok thanks Burnie It's my first year growing them. No show onions here!

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Teabag View Post
    Ahh realised I've done a major boob. I chucked my onions (and leeks) out to fend for themselves, they wasn't even the thickness of a match last time I looked (2 days ago) they had flopped over and I haven't brought myself to even look at them when walking past since. Bad onion mammy.

Have I still got time to sow another batch or just make do with sets for this year? Actually what's the benefits of sowing seed instead of sets, is it purely down to bolting?
    Seed onions can be bigger if you get the right variety, most show growers grow all their onions from seed. Sets just give you a later start, it might be a tad late to start from seed if you want larger onions.

Leave a comment:

• Teabag
    replied
    Ahh realised I've done a major boob. I chucked my onions (and leeks) out to fend for themselves, they wasn't even the thickness of a match last time I looked (2 days ago) they had flopped over and I haven't brought myself to even look at them when walking past since. Bad onion mammy.

Have I still got time to sow another batch or just make do with sets for this year? Actually what's the benefits of sowing seed instead of sets, is it purely down to bolting?
    Last edited by Teabag; 23-03-2017, 09:02 PM. Reason: to add (and leeks)

Leave a comment:

• Chris11
    replied
    Have grown spring onions from seed for a few years, and a solitary onion in a pot from a seedling from a swap event a couple of years.

This year have tried growing onion from seed, and have so far got just one solitary seedling of a Rijnsburger variety

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Started off some shallots from seed. Leeks are just starting to germinate. So far, all of seven of 75 or so. Long way to go yet.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Leeks are slowly getting going,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leeks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2371585
    You might notice the red onions in the adjacent blowaway are not so vigorous.
    Last edited by burnie; 20-03-2017, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dalrimple
    replied
    iv'e got loads of ailsa craig come through but some of the others are abit sparse mind.
    also mrs D picked up some of those trays from Lidel today and i'm well impressed with em 4bottoms 4planting trays and 4 clear covers for under £4 seem sturdy aswell! atb Dal

Leave a comment:

• Teabag
    replied
    I sowed another batch of both onion and leeks, first lot cats tipped over a few and the rest that made it seemed to flop over, think it was too much water. Picked up another pack of onion seed (not sure of the name) from lidl so going to sow them tomorrow. (also got Sturon sets to chuck in)

Leave a comment:

• happyhumph
    replied
    My spring onions are doing nicely in modules in a cold porch - will get these early ones in th gh soon, and sow up another tray of modules. Going to let a few go to seed for VC's plan of really fresh seed, but maybe not all at once!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X