Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week I have sown a generous handful of leek seeds into chinese takeaway cartons. These are on the windowsill and will go in the unheated greenhouse when they are through.
    Started a selection of chillis in the heated prop as well.
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

In the field i have sown , parsnip , carrot , red and white onion sets , garlic, beetroot.

In the allotment greehouse i have sown in pots , red and white cabbage , broccoli ,swede , red and green brussels , lettuce and globe artichoke.
      ---) CARL (----
      ILFRACOMBE
      NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Yesterday: Lettuce, beetroot, Spring Onions
        Today: Various Tomatoes, Chillis and peppers

Comment

I didnt realise you could seed so early,we have only just come out of the worst winter in years.is it wise to seed now?

Comment

Originally posted by carlseawolf View Post
            In the field i have sown , parsnip , carrot , red and white onion sets , garlic, beetroot.

In the allotment greehouse i have sown in pots , red and white cabbage , broccoli ,swede , red and green brussels , lettuce and globe artichoke.
            Already ? I live in Eastbourne, E.Sussex, could I really plant these this early?
            Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Normally, at this time of year, I am planting with the idea of moving out to the cold greenhouse in about 6 weeks. But Look North's weatherman, Paul Hudson, has said (and he admits he could be wrong, that this chill could continue into March. . So this year is a little bit different.

I have planted in the last couple of weeks: Sage, thyme and oregano. Today I planted some Globe artichokes, they last a few years but my current ones are looking sad now, if they even make it through this winter. By planting now I should get some flower heads to eat this year. But they are staying indoors until it is safe, then under glass. My onions are well away in a cold frame and today I popped some garlic bulbs in. Elephant because I've never tried it before. Loads of Chillie of course but see the chillie thread for that. No toms yet. No rush in my opinion.

Ornamentally I have some Mirabilis jalapa coming through in the warmth plus afew exotics with a long growing season. And.... oh there is loads of stuff you can plant as long as you know how to look after it. If you don't know, then plant it anyway and try again next year if it fails.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

leeks, caulis, calabrese and cabbage for me, all in the cold g/h.
                Also chancing my arm with a pot of spring onions.
                Herbs inside and salad leaves in coldframe.
                aubergines in the propagator tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
                  Already ? I live in Eastbourne, E.Sussex, could I really plant these this early?
                  Originally posted by Davdandy View Post
                  I didnt realise you could seed so early,we have only just come out of the worst winter in years.is it wise to seed now?
                  Depends on where you live, how much space you have for when the seedlings get a bit bigger, whether you have warmed up beds in preparation, whether you have a polytunnel/greenhouse etc etc.....plus how much seed you have and whether you want to take a chance on a few things surviving any bad weather....

Comment

Personally I think it's way too early but if you have plenty of spare seed then you can always try but think you'll probably be resowing later if you're not providing protection.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Where i live it very rarely snows or gets heavy frost, and down the field the soil has warmed up where i think the risk may produce an early crop.
                      As someone just said if you have the seed it's worth the try, and if nothing germinates then i'll just resow again.
                      I normally sow about a month before it says on the packet as it's a micro climate in ilfracombe due to the gulf stream running past .

PS also forgot in pots PSB and toms
                      ---) CARL (----
                      ILFRACOMBE
                      NORTH DEVON

Comment

Originally posted by Davdandy View Post
                        I was born in scunthorpe and my dad would not think about sowing untill march or april because of the risk of frost or snow , the sowing is just down to where you live.

If i go just outside ilfracombe then i'm on top of a hill and it can snow there and never get to us in the valley , that's how diffrent the climate can be and that effects sowing times.

Even the diffrence in location can have effect on tempratures as my allotment is in the bottom of the valley and the soil is to cold and will be atleast another month before i sow in the ground , where the feild is on the side of the valley only 1/4 mile away and it has already started to warm up.
                        Last edited by carlseawolf; 07-02-2010, 09:03 PM.
                        ---) CARL (----
                        ILFRACOMBE
                        NORTH DEVON

Comment

Sown the usual stock of stuff in the propagator,toms,onions and leeks.

Sown Crimson flowered broad beans in cold greenouse in modules, walking stick kale and brussel sprouts (sprouts are up), varios annual floers (Godetia are up)

Sown parsnips and planted shallots outdoors!

Plan to sow various peppers in propagator and various onion sets in modules in greenhouse next.

Their will probably be more sowing done this month, as well as starting tatties but can't think that far ahead until I have another look at my seed packets!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Janyeyo, don't think you will have any problem with spring onions. they are really hardy and shouldn't give you any problems. They are frost hardy.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have a polytunnel so I work a few weeks in advance to the sewing dates on seedpackets. The stuff for outside won't be sown for a while yet.

Comment

I have a GH so should i sow now and keep them there or keep them indoors,by the way i am from the north west.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X