Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my seeds finally arrived, so as soon as the chilli's and tomatoes are germinated, into the propagator go the following:

Thai Basil
    Lemon Grass

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo Grumio Nibbler View Post
      Well my seeds finally arrived, so as soon as the chilli's and tomatoes are germinated, into the propagator go the following:

Thai Basil
      Lemon Grass
      Hi there, just a suggestion because lemon grass seed can be a bit hit and miss ( I know I've tried it), you can root lemon grass very easily from the shop bought stuff in a glass of water.
      AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
        Hi there, just a suggestion because lemon grass seed can be a bit hit and miss ( I know I've tried it), you can root lemon grass very easily from the shop bought stuff in a glass of water.
        Just sit it in a glass of water to "chit" as it were you mean, then pot on?

Comment

I've found lemongrass easy to grow from seed (although the seed is very fine) but it does take forever to get to a reasonable size and if you want to keep it over winter you'll need to bring it inside so pot growing is best.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo Grumio Nibbler View Post
            Just sit it in a glass of water to "chit" as it were you mean, then pot on?
            Yep that's it and when you've got a decent amount of roots stick in a pot with compost
            AKA Angie

Comment

I've started my onions, leeks, a couple of toms, a few varieties of chilli and a couple of sweet pepper and aubergine. I'll get some sweetpeas at the weekend too
              Bex

Comment

Toms sown on New Years Day and potted up on the 11th...seem to doing ok so far.

Cheers
                braders...
                Attached Files

Comment

Popped a few chillies and tomatoes in the airing cupboard today, just until they germinate obviously. Also sowed some onions. Planning on sowing leeks and maybe alpine strawberries towards end of month. Don't have much room though as the sunniest window sill is occupied by the aphid and fungus gnat hotels - also known as the over wintering chilli plants

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                    Popped a few chillies and tomatoes in the airing cupboard today, just until they germinate obviously. Also sowed some onions. Planning on sowing leeks and maybe alpine strawberries towards end of month. Don't have much room though as the sunniest window sill is occupied by the aphid and fungus gnat hotels - also known as the over wintering chilli plants
                    Have you tried a layer of vermiculite over the top of the compost?

It should stop the gnats from getting into the soil to lay their eggs.

Alternatively a layer of sand also does the same thing but it'll also stop the flies hatched from larve from getting out as well so they'll die in the soil.

Comment

Hi all,

I'm very new here, took on half an allotment a month or so ago. This thread is great for a proper soil virgin!

For those of you saying they're starting things off indoors, my problem is no airing cupboard and a house that isn't doubleglazed - the kitchen is usually subzero in the morning! Am I looking at having to get a heated propogator, or are there any other suggestions? I'm sure the change in temperature in the rest of the house can't be good for plants.

Comment

Originally posted by OberonK View Post
                        Hi all,

I'm very new here, took on half an allotment a month or so ago. This thread is great for a proper soil virgin!

For those of you saying they're starting things off indoors, my problem is no airing cupboard and a house that isn't doubleglazed - the kitchen is usually subzero in the morning! Am I looking at having to get a heated propogator, or are there any other suggestions? I'm sure the change in temperature in the rest of the house can't be good for plants.
                        Hi Oberon! Just wanted to say welcome to the Vine.

Sounds like you should treat the house like a giant cold-frame! Really knowledgeable people should be along to help you. Possibly a heated propagator would be a good idea if the house is that cold.

In the meatime, could you plant things in pots and make mini-cloches out of plastic drinks bottles?
                        Last edited by basketcase; 16-01-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Oberonk you could also try putting clear plastic bags over the pots (sandwich bags etc) then put an elastic band round the pot to keep in place. Acts like a mini greenhouse environment
                          AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by nerdgas View Post
                            Have you tried a layer of vermiculite over the top of the compost?

It should stop the gnats from getting into the soil to lay their eggs.

Alternatively a layer of sand also does the same thing but it'll also stop the flies hatched from larve from getting out as well so they'll die in the soil.
                            Ooh that's a fab idea, will try that - thanks a lot

Comment

I have a packet of peas that says they are ok to go out in January. I might give them a go.
                              We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                              Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

More broadies next week, and I'm going to go through the brassicas and see if any are ok for an early sowing. Possibly not, but maybe.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X