Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thanks, I'll move them from the cold kitchen to the freezing GH tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
      Great thanks, I'll move them from the cold kitchen to the freezing GH tomorrow
      If you've got space though, you could delay it a bit until this ridiculous weather sorts itself out......just not anywhere too warm!

Comment

Well I thought of moving them to the kitchen a little earlier on, it has no heating so gets pretty cold. I don't want to keep them there too long though as the light is not ideal.

Comment

onions

thought i would follow some old sage advice re growing onions from seed...they say the best time to sow it xmas day (done)...and when they reach the "hook" stage (now) i am to pot on into 3 inch pots and put in a cool greenhouse to grow on...however, with this dreadful weather should i do this...as feel it would be too cold...i have a about 50 little seedlings...any advice would be appreciated ta!!

Comment

caz; I've merged your thread as we are discussing this already. It is a little cold, and personally I don't move them on but leave them in the pot they were sown in until they go into their final position.

Comment

i've just posted same sort of thread...however i have sown my seeds and they are just at the hook stage and usually a cool unheated greenhouse is fine but i,m not sure this year....

Comment

mine are in a small windowsill propagator tray can i still leave these in that??

Comment

Just out of interest, how long do onion seeds take to germinate, usually?
                  I would imagine, due to the cold, they might take a bit longer than normal?

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                    Just out of interest, how long do onion seeds take to germinate, usually?
                    I would imagine, due to the cold, they might take a bit longer than normal?
                    About 5 days!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I read its tradition to start them on xmas day. I've got overwintering sets in and some seeds on the windowsill coming up. I thought it would be interesting to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        About 5 days!
                        Oh...mine have been in since 28th Dec and there is no sign of life yet!! However it has been quite cold at night in the conservatory.

When do you think I should give up on them?
                        Cheers
                        Last edited by northepaul; 10-01-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                          Oh...mine have been in since 28th Dec and there is no sign of life yet!! However it has been quite cold at night in the conservatory.

When do you think I should give up on them?
                          Cheers
                          Can you bring them indoors for a few days?

I've got some that have taken a while; they come through eventually. Older seed usually takes longer anyway.

[Snadger means 5 days longer, not 5 days - usually between a week and 2 to germinate, so don't panic...it's only been 13 days so far for you].
                          Last edited by zazen999; 10-01-2010, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            Can you bring them indoors for a few days?

I've got some that have taken a while; they come through eventually. Older seed usually takes longer anyway.

[Snadger means 5 days longer, not 5 days - usually between a week and 2 to germinate, so don't panic...it's only been 13 days so far for you].
                            Oh phew Thanks Andrea - I thought I had done something terribly wrong

I put them out there as its south facing and gets the most light - (chillis are on the only south facing window inside) I might try popping them in the spare room for a bit.

Comment

My Kelsae are up today (7 days in heated prop). They've now been moved to a south windowsill (the compost goes mouldy on north windowsills)
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine are up but don't seem to be doing very well since I took them off the heat. Still they have two chances and there is still plenty of time to sow some more.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X