This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

.........................[Snadger means 5 days longer, not 5 days - usually between a week and 2 to germinate, so don't panic...it's only been 13 days so far for you].
    Just checked, mine started to appear after 5 days and all that were going to grow were up by 8 days!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Taking my Golden Bear onions to the allotment to go into my trickle heated tent thingy tonight.
      Next ones to sow and put in the propagator will be my Rossa Lunga Di Firenze!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My leeks seem far slower to germinate than my onions were, is this normal?
        Bex

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
          My leeks seem far slower to germinate than my onions were, is this normal?
          Yes - leeks can be a bit annoying like that!

Comment

Finally....!!

Can you bring them indoors for a few days?

I've got some that have taken a while; they come through eventually. Older seed usually takes longer anyway.

[Snadger means 5 days longer, not 5 days - usually between a week and 2 to germinate, so don't panic...it's only been 13 days so far for you].

I looked today after moving them into the spare room by the window & radiator and have about 8 shoots so far....thats 19 days. Still I am just glad they did something

Comment

All the onions have germinated. They are just past the crook stage so will need to sort them this week. Going to sow some leeks next. It is great to be sowing at last Even though the dreaded snow may be on its way back.
              http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

I sowed onions on 2.1.10 in a heated propogator. Today I potted on. When should I plant into the ground? Are they like leeks, in that you wait until they're pencil thick?
                Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Finally managed to get my first batch sown today, about three weeks later than intended but between the weather and the outdoor socket getting used for outdoor lights over christmas...

120 seeds assorted large onions in individual modules (mix of Kelsaes, Giant Spanish and Russian Size), two/three seeds per module of Tropea, Sturon, Aisla Craig, White Spanish and a Finnish strain of Walking (tree) onion (total 60 modules) and finally (for the moment) 5 seeds per module of Long Red Florence (40 modules).

There'll be another sowing of Sturon, Tropea, Sweet Spanish, Aisla Craig, and LRF before the propagators get turned over to other veg.

chrisc

Comment

My onions aren't doing too well, they look a bit sick. They started off fine and now they seem to be going a bit wilty at the ends, any idea what I'm doing wrong?
                    Bex

Comment

My onions aren't doing too well, they look a bit sick. They started off fine and now they seem to be going a bit wilty at the ends, any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Where are they - too warm? too wet?

Comment

Where are they - too warm? too wet?
                        On a bedroom windowsill, could it be they are too warm?
                        Bex

Comment

On a bedroom windowsill, could it be they are too warm?
                          Yes. As soon as they are germinated, at about an inch tall; they need to go outside, a cold greenhouse, a coldframe, an upturned plastic container.....if they are too warm they can fall over or wither away.

Check out 'damping off', which happens due to poor airflow, which you can get if they are indoors too long.

Comment

Yes. As soon as they are germinated, at about an inch tall; they need to go outside, a cold greenhouse, a coldframe, an upturned plastic container.....if they are too warm they can fall over or wither away.

Check out 'damping off', which happens due to poor airflow, which you can get if they are indoors too long.
                            Would my tent cloche, be ok to keep them in? I hope so as I'm running out of room at home.
                            Bex

Comment

Will they recover if they have wilted a bit?

Comment

Too warm for the light available, possibly under/overwatered (the first if the soil is bone dry, the second if it is in anything but dry), damping off (cure with coppe-based fungicides but best avoided by using Cheshunt Compound at sowing) or an outside vote for Botrytis cos it can be a bugger in a greenhouse, imported into the GH annually with the overwintering flowers that I'm not allowed to spray with anythign that might fix it.....

chrisc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X