Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just bought my first every seed potatoes picked Pentland Javelin because I liked the name my local seed merchant let me buy just 10 as I'm growing them in buckets. They're in a egg box just now in the kitchen so I'll read up where's the best place to chit them.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by COMPOST CORNER View Post
      Another question Tattieman. I will be growing some charlotte, nicola and pink fir apple in the larger Morrisons buckets, could I get a few off to an earlier start in an unheated GH? If so, roughly when could I start them?
      I start a few spuds in buckets in an unheated greenhouse in Feb - but I wrap the pots in bubblewrap and I cover them with fleece at night. Worth it to get a crop of good new potatoes in May though.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• I wonder if any other grapes have the same concern as me?
        What yield per potato, should we be looking for?
        Earlies, Second Earlies and Maincrop.
        I have the feeling I expect too much.
        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

• I hope to be planting some earlies in 'inside out' fertiliser bags this weekend. Without me trolling back through tattiemans listing, or God forbid it, using the 'word not to be mentioned' s**rch function, can anyone remember how many spuds were put in each bag? Mine were originally 20Kg fert bags but they will be rolled down by about half.

Unless I learn differently I will be placing ONE spud in each, buried about half way in 8 inches of compost. As the plants grow I will top up to about 12 inches.

PS Note to myself.....remember to punch some holes in the bottom of bags!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            I hope to be planting some earlies in 'inside out' fertiliser bags this weekend. Without me trolling back through tattiemans listing, or God forbid it, using the 'word not to be mentioned' s**rch function, can anyone remember how many spuds were put in each bag? Mine were originally 20Kg fert bags but they will be rolled down by about half.

Unless I learn differently I will be placing ONE spud in each, buried about half way in 8 inches of compost. As the plants grow I will top up to about 12 inches.

Nee chitting like?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I hope to be planting some earlies in 'inside out' fertiliser bags this weekend. Without me trolling back through tattiemans listing, or God forbid it, using the 'word not to be mentioned' s**rch function, can anyone remember how many spuds were put in each bag? Mine were originally 20Kg fert bags but they will be rolled down by about half.

I think it's 2/3 in 40 litre bags.

Not sure how that equates to a 20kg bag of fertiliser though!

Comment

• Originally posted by COMPOST CORNER View Post
                Another question Tattieman. I will be growing some charlotte, nicola and pink fir apple in the larger Morrisons buckets, could I get a few off to an earlier start in an unheated GH? If so, roughly when could I start them?
                I would wait till about the middle of February before you try anything just incase of frost. Just do a bucket of each and see how you go.
                The weather is still cold here but down south I am sure it will be warmer.
                Potato videos here.

Comment

• Originally posted by nerdgas View Post
                  I think it's 2/3 in 40 litre bags.

Not sure how that equates to a 20kg bag of fertiliser though!
                  Those fertilizer bags can hold alot of stuff but you are probably correct to put anywhere between one and three spuds in containers of that size.
                  The only problem I had with the compost bags was that they fell over in the wind. A few garden canes popped through the bags solved that problem.
                  Potato videos here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ringo Grumio Nibbler View Post
                    Nee chitting like?
                    Chitting is just something that tatties do cos they are telling you they want to be in the ground! If they are planted in pots of compost at the same temeperature, not only will they chit, but the chits will grow on and make more growth, giving earlier potatoes.............hopefully!
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by tattieman View Post
                      The only problem I had with the compost bags was that they fell over in the wind. A few garden canes popped through the bags solved that problem.
                      Nice tip tattieman, thanks.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• I'm going to get my potatoes from Coventry market - the stall there sells them loose. He said he's got about 50 varieties. I gather from the leaflet he gave me the other day he gets them from WCF Phoenix.

His prices are £1.40/kg or £3.50 for 3kg for Mains. 1sts, 2nds and Salads are slightly more at £1.70/kg or £4.50 for 3kg.

I think the prices are ok but the best bit is that, as they're sold loose, you can just by 3 or 4 tubers to try out. This is what I did last year to grow in containers and a corner of our garden.

My shortlist this year is Pentland Javelin, Kestrel, Charlotte and Pink Fir Apple.
                        I'll be able to grow more this year now I have my half-plot!

Is it too early to buy them? You guys seem to be well on your way.

Last year I bought them around the middle of Feb and planted at the end of March. I seem to recall we had snow in Feb last year too which is making me reluctant to purchase yet.
                        Last edited by matjam; 28-01-2010, 11:34 AM. Reason: can't spell loose!
                        My blog of Matt's Patch : http://mattspatch.blogspot.com/
                        Flickr for my pics : http://www.flickr.com/photos/matjam/

Comment

• Looking at previous post Matt, Snadger is talking about planting some up in feb so no I don't think it's too early.......mine are in the garage chitting away.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Looking at previous post Matt, Snadger is talking about planting some up in feb so no I don't think it's too early.......mine are in the garage chitting away.
                            Mine won't be planted outside until later, the ones I will be planting will be planted in used fertiser bags INSIDE the greenhouse!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• i have just bought back from enland some seed poatoes i have rooster,charlotte and nicola , i really dont want to put them all in straight away so how do i store them best without 1 rotting 2 drying out and 3 chitting earlier than i need them to
                              cheers tracy

Comment

• I think a fridge might be best for you tracy.......no point me saying a cool light place........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X