Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is general purpose fertiliser ok then? First year growing and I know nowt about anything, fetiliser is a bit of a mystery. Hope the lambings going well
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I usually throw a few chicken pellets in to the potato pot as I'm topping it up with soil and I've not had the seed rotting. I seem to remember someone on here saying to do that so I tried it and it seems to work well. I use a mix of soil and year old equipoo. Has anyone tried topping up the pots with straw or dried grass clippings ????. Just a thought.
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Great info there tattieman, thanks

Comment

Thanks Tattieman, usefull stuff.

Going back to the chitting stage-how many sprouts should you leave.

Don't ask me why, but I have always removed them all leaving just the strongest looking one to grow on.

I am growing mainly 1st earlies, with a single maincrop of King Edwards.

Comment

Another question for Tattieman I left some of my seed potatoes in the cupard under the stairs in the net bag, they have sprouted big long white sprouts are these going to be ok. I thought they would be ok in the dark.
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

ok i have another potato question, how do i get big potatoes for jacket spuds, and what is the best variety

and i'm thinking of using the grass clippings method of earthing them up this year, will it be ok to mix the grass clippings with straw from the chickens which will have some poo in it.
              Last edited by lynda66; 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dandamegs View Post
                Thanks Tattieman, usefull stuff.

Going back to the chitting stage-how many sprouts should you leave.

Don't ask me why, but I have always removed them all leaving just the strongest looking one to grow on.

I am growing mainly 1st earlies, with a single maincrop of King Edwards.
                Now if you mean that they are just rubbed off then the sprouts will re-grow. You would need to cut the eyes out with a knife to stop re-growth. I think if you are wanting big spuds that you should leave 3/4 to grow.

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                Another question for Tattieman I left some of my seed potatoes in the cupard under the stairs in the net bag, they have sprouted big long white sprouts are these going to be ok. I thought they would be ok in the dark.
                Best thing to do is gently rub the sprouts off now and then that will give them time to re-grow nice strong chits in the light. All early potatoes are wanting to sprout now.

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                ok i have another potato question, how do i get big potatoes for jacket spuds, and what is the best variety

and i'm thinking of using the grass clippings method of earthing them up this year, will it be ok to mix the grass clippings with straw from the chickens which will have some poo in it.
                Ok for an early I would use Winston.
                For a second Early I would use Estima.
                Maincrop King Edward are hard to beat.
                I have never used grass clippings and straw before so you will have to tell me if it works
                Potato videos here.

Comment

Wow ,this is a great thread as I am on my to pick up my tatties from JBA 2mor. I hope to grow mainly Salad tatties this year, I guess I would leave most of eyes on for Salad tatties?

Comment

This is a great thread

Thanks Tattieman, another thing I do that is completely wrong-will put it right this year

Comment

Great info,good thread,thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post

Ok for an early I would use Winston.
                        For a second Early I would use Estima.
                        Maincrop King Edward are hard to beat.
                        I have never used grass clippings and straw before so you will have to tell me if it works
                        thanks tattieman think i'll go for the king edward then i like jacket spuds, do i take some of the shoots off them? to get big spuds or just plant em as they grow cos they are big spuds anyway???

guess i'll just go for the straw and grass planting then lol, i'm gonna try everything without digging this year, so it seems an easy solution, i can only kill em can't i lol

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                          So is general purpose fertiliser ok then? First year growing and I know nowt about anything, fetiliser is a bit of a mystery. Hope the lambings going well
                          Try and get something like 4:4:9 NPK or there abouts.

Originally posted by helly View Post
                          Wow ,this is a great thread as I am on my to pick up my tatties from JBA 2mor. I hope to grow mainly Salad tatties this year, I guess I would leave most of eyes on for Salad tatties?
                          Yes see you tomorrow I would leave the eyes.

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                          thanks tattieman think i'll go for the king edward then i like jacket spuds, do i take some of the shoots off them? to get big spuds or just plant em as they grow cos they are big spuds anyway???

guess i'll just go for the straw and grass planting then lol, i'm gonna try everything without digging this year, so it seems an easy solution, i can only kill em can't i lol
                          Leave 3/4 shoots and pack in the organic fertiliser and add plenty of water. They will grow big and tasty for you. I look forward to hearing about the straw and grass.

Glad you are all enjoying the thread. Any more questions?
                          Potato videos here.

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
                            Any more questions?
                            Can I grow spicy potato wedges?
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              Can I grow spicy potato wedges?
                              Haha what are you like
                              Potato videos here.

Comment

One quick one, I've got some 1st & 2nd earlies and maincrop ordered with you tattieman. I I guess I should chit them immediately I get them (end of Feb) and then plant them all at the same time and then I'll have a succession of crops through the year?
                                My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                                My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                                My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                                My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X