This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lizzy View Post
    You are all lucky to have potatoes, I planted 11 row, only got one out, the rest got blight. They were not long enough in the ground to grow, only marble size. I have lost the lot. They were sprayed but it did'nt make any difference.
    Spraying doesn't always work. I personally wouldn't bother, but I know others do.

Unfortunately you live in a blight-prone area ... damp Wales (Devon & Cornwall are bad too).
    Perhaps you could try some blight-resistant varieties next year? some on here: The British Potato Variety Database
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I understand that the advantage of growing from seed is that diseased aren't passed on to the next generation. I read that somewhere. I think!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Spraying doesn't always work. I personally wouldn't bother, but I know others do.

Unfortunately you live in a blight-prone area ... damp Wales (Devon & Cornwall are bad too).
        Perhaps you could try some blight-resistant varieties next year..........................
        Or move house?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          I understand that the advantage of growing from seed is that diseased aren't passed on to the next generation. I read that somewhere. I think!
          Ahh but blight/fungal intolerance could be!

As an aside, I wonder if this is how they strip viruses from worthy old potato varieties grown for the last 50 years or so by Joe Bloggs in his back garden? Sounds feasible!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Quark1 kindly sent me some blue salad seeds, so i am in, I just hope I don't let her down by mucking it up
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

How long does it take for the fruit to ripen?
              I've had green ones on my windowsill for weeks and they are still green!
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
                How long does it take for the fruit to ripen?
                I've had green ones on my windowsill for weeks and they are still green!
                They don't ripen like tomatoes Demeter. They go from dark green to pale green to brown.
                I've tried to catch mine at the pale green stage and squish out the seeds (I know they are lethal to eat but they smell quite sweet)
                I've then squashed them through a sieve whilst rinsing.

The pulp and seeds that are left, I've placed on kitchen roll and keep changing it until the moisture is finally absorbed.

What I hope to be left with is the seeds plus the dried pulp which I should be able to seperate quite easily!

It's all a learning curve........but quite an enjoyable one!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oh how exciting! As per Duronal's original post I was waiting for them to go black. Just been and looked at them - one is pale green, the others less pale but all are soft and feel ripe so I think I might go and have a little squish

Question - we don't have any kitchen roll, if I place the seeds on muslin and put them somewhere warm and dry (on top of the boiler) do you reckon that would work? Or am I better to stick with something disposable in which case it is going to be loo paper....
                  Last edited by Demeter; 29-09-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

That should be fine demeter, i used kitchen roll because that's all i had but i'm sure muslin would work, it may even make it easier to get the dry seeds off the paper/muslin because you'll be able to bend the material behind it. Should anyone not get any seeds this year i have some spare. I've reserved some for phreddy but i've got lots more. And some of last years left too.

What we could do is try to stagger the germination date in order to try and get an early crop and then a later crop. If you could keep temps suitable i think growing from FEB may be possible by starting like early tomatos. They will try to get leggy but by planting them deep i'm sure you could get away with it....
                    www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                    www.outofthecool.com
                    http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Woo-hoo! Dunnit now

One of the fruit was a dud, no seeds, but the other two were good. So now I have a small piece of muslin drying on my windowsill with about 50 seeds on it. Do they need to go in the dark or will they be OK in the window (worried I will forget them if I stick them in the boiler cupboard)

I feel like a proper grown up gardener now, saving my own seed and everything

Comment

We'll be giving it a go!!Only problem is I've saved a few fruits,but not got a clue which variety!!Still!!I'll count this year as a "will it work" experiment year & maybe next year my little notebook will stay by my side & I'll become an officially organised gardener!!
                        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Hi

I had aPicasso seed head - opened it up a couple of weeks ago and the seeds were very small - how big should they be? Smaller than a tomato, about the same, bigger?

Still managed to get them out of the 'tomato' and dried and bagged in readiness
                          Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

The seeds ARE smaller than a tomatoes!

It doesn't really matter which potatoe variety you use because you will be creating completely new varieties anyway methinks!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

world domination here we come right?

Did anyone get anywhere with lobbying for a projects section on here? I'm happy to add my support but i'm not sure who to ask!

D
                              Last edited by Duronal; 30-09-2008, 07:34 AM.
                              www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                              www.outofthecool.com
                              http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think a "Projects" section would be great too. Is anybody there? Can you hear us?
                                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X