Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps some half plots might suit the less experienced.
    On our (charity owned) site they now require a deposit of £150 to start, if you leave the plot in a mess your deposit contributes to a contractor clearing it. the Deposit is a lot of money to find for a young family starting out and seems to have deterred any more recent applicants. Constructions are strictly limited to a 6x4ft shed, no greenhouses or fences indeed only two years ago were water butts first allowed and colour controlled. Current plot holders have taken on the last two available plots as additional growing space. We other plot holders will put a rotavator over vacant plots to maintain them as reasonable as practical. My own unit had been sprayed & strimmed on one half and rotavated on the other before I got on there. Spray chemical issues aside it made the start seem easier even though I had a bindweed infestation.

Comment

One possible way out for us is for the Association to take over the plot ourselves. We did this one year with another plot with big plans for composting toilet, disabled plot and meeting hut and shop. This didn't happen but this plot would be better suited for this purpose because it is the first plot as you enter the site.It would lend itself better to a communal area.
      As long as we can do without the rent for this single plot. I may put it to the populace at the AGM in February.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Someone has just restored my faith in human nature! Meeting next week to view the plot!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

On my old site, the committee took over a half plot, put a hooge polytunnel on it & used it for growing plants for the mid summer sale............I reckon it paid for itself.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            On my old site, the committee took over a half plot, put a hooge polytunnel on it & used it for growing plants for the mid summer sale............I reckon it paid for itself.
            Funny you should say that BM, there's a huge industrial galvanised metal frame work for polytunnel already on this plot with at least half a dozen hoops spanning about 6 metres!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
              My own unit had been sprayed & strimmed on one half and rotavated on the other before I got on there. Spray chemical issues aside it made the start seem easier even though I had a bindweed infestation.
              Both those things would have made me seriously consider if I wanted a plot in that site. Rotivating would have made my weeds much worse and one of my main reasons for growing was to avoid ingesting chemicals as much as possible. I much preferred to get a totally blank canvas (admittedly rather a wilderness) as I was able to be responsible for my decisions. Rotivating and dosing with weed killer will give the illusion of a clear plot but it's only an illusion and the weeds will come back anyway.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I love run down plots. They are a blank canvas and also little treasure troves. I found a car trailer, two wheel barrows plus assorted garden tools on my one.
                Alright it took me months to clear a little bit at a time but that was the fun in it. To stand back and say yep I dug all of that, I put the paths down and built the compost bins gives me great satisfaction. If I took over a neat pre dug plot where would the fun, the learning experience, finding what I am capable of and what I can achieve come from?
                People want a Gardeners World plot without the hard work.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                  Not helped by that silly show on TV.

I've heard of other places charging a huge deposit and that being used to sort plots out if you don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                    Not helped by that silly show on TV.

I've heard of other places charging a huge deposit and that being used to sort plots out if you don't do it.
                    The problem with a huge deposit is that people from a poor community like ours will be put off and only the rich would be able to afford a plot. Rather self defeating in that allotments were an original concept for poor people to subsidize there meager wages. 80% of our existing plot holders are on some sort of benefits.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                      I love run down plots. They are a blank canvas and also little treasure troves.....
                      It depends if you are physically able to do that much heavy work at the beginning.

I keep my plot planted and productive, but I'd really not be able to clear a very overgrown plot, nowadays.

Best not to judge people too harshly, if they say they need an easier start.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                        It depends if you are physically able to do that much heavy work at the beginning.

I keep my plot planted and productive, but I'd really not be able to clear a very overgrown plot, nowadays.

Best not to judge people too harshly, if they say they need an easier start.
                        I take your point Thelma. I would still expect the majority of prospective plot holders to be reasonably fit and ready to take on an overgrown plot though?

My overgrown plot project is nearly killing me! When I was younger though it would have been like water off a ducks back!

The thing is, when i first applied for my first plot many years ago, I expected to be given an overgrown plot.Have things changed that much that people now expect to be given a plot ready for planting these days?Are expectations higher, or are people lazier?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Maybe your expectations of people are higher, Snadge?
                          There is no way that I would take on the plots that you and jay-ell have taken. I'm not physically capable of dismantling sheds. shifting scrap metal etc, in order to grow veg. Weeds I'd tackle, but shanty towns and scrap heaps are out of my league. Its not a sign of laziness I assure you

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            The problem with a huge deposit is that people from a poor community like ours will be put off and only the rich would be able to afford a plot. Rather self defeating in that allotments were an original concept for poor people to subsidize there meager wages. 80% of our existing plot holders are on some sort of benefits.

It's against the allotment act I think to charge such a large amount.
                            Thinking about what it says in the 1950 I think. would have to dig my allotment act folder out and find the exact bit.
                            Last edited by alldigging; 17-12-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Maybe your expectations of people are higher, Snadge?
                              There is no way that I would take on the plots that you and jay-ell have taken. I'm not physically capable of dismantling sheds. shifting scrap metal etc, in order to grow veg. Weeds I'd tackle, but shanty towns and scrap heaps are out of my league. Its not a sign of laziness I assure you
                              They didn't even look at the plot VC. All i told them was it was overgrown.

Do most people really expect a plot dug over and ready to plant.

The reasom I took over my current plot was because it was un-lettable and we (the Association) need each plot let to keep plot rents down. I could see its potential and it meant I could go from two plots to one plot of a similar size for half the price.. Jay-ells reason was because of the size of the plot, the sunny aspect, and he could see its potential.

Gardening is a physical activity. If you don't want physical activity take up chess or drafts!

Anyway,after telling her its the only plot available the gardener I am meeting next week is keen to take up the challenge. We shall see!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

agree with snadger, if one can not deal with rundown one, it is high likely that they give up the very good plot as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X