This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rundown plots

What is it with people these days, they apply for an allotment plot but aren't prepared to take on a run down plot.
    As allotment Secretary I've just contacted two on the waiting list asking them if the wanted an allotment plot with a rent free period.
    Both appeared to want a cultibvted plot ready to plant.

Where has peoples spirit of adventure gone. Just look at what myself and Jay-el took on. We are what I would class as 'proppa' gardeners. Both wanting to have a blank canvas to mould to our own design.

Rant over!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Its time to accept that you and Jayell are "different"...........and nuts!
    Are the "rundown"plots on offer in the same state as the ones you've taken on? Or are they just overgrown with a hint of their former glory?

Comment

I don't have a plot but if I decided to get one I would prefer a ready made one as I am inexperienced. It would be too daunting to take on a run down plot as I wouldn't know where to start.
      sigpic

Comment

I think where possible, notice should be given by either party when vacating a plot, this then gives time for the site to issue the plot to someone else whilst still in a reasonable condition. Far too many plots are left unattended for too long leaving them to get overgrown thereby making it difficult to issue them.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If it's overgrown & a mess you can design it with your own plans which seems better to me than growing on someone else's plot design. I don't have an allotment but I've got hours to spend digging & weeding,some people might not have much free time?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Its time to accept that you and Jayell are "different"...........and nuts!
            Are the "rundown"plots on offer in the same state as the ones you've taken on? Or are they just overgrown with a hint of their former glory?
            Not half quarter as bad as mine or Jayells! These punters didn't even want to look at the plot though!

Whichever plot i took on I would want to gut it and start again. Maybe it is us being nuts?

I sse it like buying a house. I couldn't/wouldn't buy a house that I would happily move straight into without major work. Main reason would be cost, but putting your own stamp on something shows your individuallity.

I've seen people ont telly who wouldn't put an offer in for a house because they didn't like the wallpaper!

I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't finish up negotiating a rent free period with the committee, taking on the plot mesell, and filling it full of tatties like i did last year on my new plot!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
              If it's overgrown & a mess you can design it with your own plans which seems better to me than growing on someone else's plot design. I don't have an allotment but I've got hours to spend digging & weeding,some people might not have much free time?
              If they didn't have the time to cultivate an allotment plot, why ask to go on the waiting list? I realise allotmenteering isn't for everyone, but if they thought they wouldn't have time, why apply for a plot in the first place. Did they want someone to dig it for them?

When the allotment craze was at its height, there were even Yuppies taking on plots and paying someone to work them, just so they could be hip and tell everyone they had an allotment!

There is a site close to ours that has every plot the same size. They all have a clump of rhuibarb, a gooseberry bush and a blackcurrant bush situated in the same position on the plot and you can't move them. Each is a mirror imge of the other. Weekly check are done to make sure their isn't a weed out of place, or that you haven't grown a carrot where a cabbage should be. My idea of purgatory methinks!

Nuts I may be, but Im not afraid of hard graft to get things the way I want them.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                I think where possible, notice should be given by either party when vacating a plot, this then gives time for the site to issue the plot to someone else whilst still in a reasonable condition. Far too many plots are left unattended for too long leaving them to get overgrown thereby making it difficult to issue them.
                Great in theory but does not work in practice because of the council officers, I have been asking and asking for the council officer to send me people on the waiting list to view two plots that are so bad that I have negotiated them at rent free for the first year and that was since notice to quit were issued in the end of July.

We now have another three half plots up for grabs and so far after five viewings have only let one and that is to an existing half plot owner who wants more growing space and didn't want to view. So far all of them have said it's too much work if they had seen mine or Andy's the brambles were so high we didn't know he had a 6ft x 8ft shed at the back of his plot until we uncovered it.

We have heard that because of budget cuts and a contractor taking over that next year the council officer who is taking over the client side allotment management isn't interested in if they cultivate the plots, as long as they pay the rent he couldn't care less and will not have time to deal with non cultivation and improvement notices.
                Last edited by Cadalot; 15-12-2016, 01:56 PM.
                sigpic
                . .......Man Vs Slug
                Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                Nutters Club Member

Comment

Do you have any option to split the plots temporarily? Some sites round us have quarter plots people can start with, so that inexperienced growers can try a small plot for a year before they commit to a larger one. An overgrown plot might be a bit less daunting if smaller?

If you're very lucky, you might have experienced plot holders who wouldn't mind 'adopting' the other half or 3/4 for a year or two (rent-free in return for clearing it, of course!)

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
                    Do you have any option to split the plots temporarily? Some sites round us have quarter plots people can start with, so that inexperienced growers can try a small plot for a year before they commit to a larger one. An overgrown plot might be a bit less daunting if smaller?

If you're very lucky, you might have experienced plot holders who wouldn't mind 'adopting' the other half or 3/4 for a year or two (rent-free in return for clearing it, of course!)
                    This plot although quite large is triangular so doen't really lend itsef to splitting unless two triangular plots were made. A local school had the plot and did nowt then someone took it on and stored wood on it.

It is similar in size and shape to my own plot which I took on as a derelict project. If I didn't have the plot I have, I would certainly have taken it on as it has huge potential!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      There is a site close to ours that has every plot the same size. They all have a clump of rhuibarb, a gooseberry bush and a blackcurrant bush situated in the same position on the plot and you can't move them. Each is a mirror imge of the other. Weekly check are done to make sure their isn't a weed out of place, or that you haven't grown a carrot where a cabbage should be. My idea of purgatory methinks!
                      Really, the thought of those sites who make you have your shed painted a particular colour are bad enough, didn't realise some were even more inflexible. I was quite happy to have a blank canvas, wouldn't have wanted a ready made plot as it'd have given me no scope to make it mine.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post

I've never understood how this works, do you put a lot of effort and work into your starter plot then get promoted to a full plot? If so I'd have found that very demoralising to loose the work I'd done. Alternatively if you get the rest of the plot you're on, what's happening with that land while you prove yourself? All sounds a bit limbo.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

If they don't want to do any hard graft, having an allotment is probably not for them... they're the ones that'll let a tidy plot go to rack and ruin and then give it up in two years.
                          He-Pep!

Comment

Never seen a vacant "ready made" plot. I thought that the whole idea of a plot was to have sufficient land to produce veges for a family. I took on a neglected half plot and then, a few years later, took on an overgrown half plot next to it. I had great satisfaction in bringing both plots up to "scratch" and cropping whilst doing so. I have seen people take on other plots during that same time. They have arrived with new tools, barbecues and chairs. Somehow when they left they have made the allotment less "ready made" than when they arrived.

That said I have seen others turn up with decidedly second hand tools but plenty of ideas and determination. They have succeeded and enjoyed the experience. I don't agree with "regimented" plots or ways of doing things.

Bill

Comment

It can be really daunting to see a massively overgrown plot. Unless you've got lots of time and energy it's difficult to tackle it.

Was talking about this with someone off another site. They have a couple of plots not let because they are massively overgrown. One suggestion was a work day for the existing plot holders to clear and prepare the plot to make it less daunting for a new person. I imagine the cost of getting outside help in to renovate plots is prohibitive.

I'd prefer it if people are realistic about what they think they can tackle else it just gets depressing trying to nudge them along when they are facing a huge piece of scrub land!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X