Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

allotments - should be cleared before allocating Y or N?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
    I'm amazed at how many of you are on allotments where plots have been left unattended for so long. I was under the impression that getting an allotment was as rare as getting a beach hut and that waiting lists were sometimes years long!
    When I got my first plot it was covered with weeds, brambles, buried carpets and shopping trollies etc. The waiting list was so long that they had split the full size plots into half plots - I had been waiting for 5 years for this plot. I was told that because of the state They didn't expect me to get the minimum cultivation level.

Later, when I had to relocate back up north, I handed back a weed free plot that had been dug over, beds laid out, soil improved, manure pile made and still had crops growing. I spoke on the phone to the allotment officer, emailed and wrote a letter with the keys stating I was giving it up and to reallocate it to someone else.

Ten months later I got a phone call saying my plot was in a state and needed to be improved.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

You seem to make a habit of taking on rundown plots
      I still wonder what happened to the dolphins

Comment

I set them free.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Swim free, little dolphins and frolic in the wide blue ocean

Comment

My thoughts would be , nope, they shouldn't be cleared by the council.
            Councils have no spare money and a keen grower would willingly get stuck in for say one year/6 months free rent.

Jay-ell....that's sooooo annoying. Such a waste.
            Last edited by Nicos; 14-04-2016, 12:22 AM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
              I'm a site rep and I reported that a person who obtained a plot rent free because it was so covered with dross and overgrown a year last October had done nothing at all by the review time, and at the end of the year when the rents were due I reminded the council officer and suggested she let me show the first on the waiting list of 8 but no she wants to wait until the review in May/June - by that time you can imagine how much more overgrown and weedy it's going to be.
              That's where going self-managed does really work. All our vacant plots were re-let by the end of March this year. Though there is leeway - we have a few plotholders who've been very ill, and their plots are obviously looking a bit tatty at the moment. There's lots of goodwill to help each other, but I know that's really dependent on who has the plots.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I have had two plots now that needed gutting. I'm just amazed like what several people have added about the things they find hidden, sometimes good like a wheel barrow and trailer, or the usual glass and empty chemical containers.
                I don't think council should clear the plots. First thing is money. If they gutted all the empty plots in their area how much would that add to rent and council bills. But also how much damage could they do to the plot and the soil structure. Also they could take away useful things like hidden tools and wood.
                Also isn't that the thing about allotment if you do have one that needs gutting even though its a long back breaking start at the end of the day you can sit there and think I've done this.
                sigpic

Comment

Sparrow - You saw the two half plots a certain individual has, he is taking over the path between him and his neighbour, is actively bringing even more junk into the allotment and had the cheek to park his car between the two gates for the last fortnight for some reason.

The council accepted his "unique way of cultivating" his plots, after that everyone else on the allotment who would normally put a supreme effort in to not get an improvement notice said "Stuff it, if they will accept that how can they possibly serve an improvement notice or chuck me off". With 8 on the waiting list he should be long gone.
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                    Sparrow - You saw the two half plots a certain individual has, he is taking over the path between him and his neighbour, is actively bringing even more junk into the allotment and had the cheek to park his car between the two gates for the last fortnight for some reason.

The council accepted his "unique way of cultivating" his plots, after that everyone else on the allotment who would normally put a supreme effort in to not get an improvement notice said "Stuff it, if they will accept that how can they possibly serve an improvement notice or chuck me off". With 8 on the waiting list he should be long gone.

Photos are required by our council before we throw people off for bad plots. You need to keep a photographic record and point out the council's errors.

Comment

Our plots are provided by a local charity who don't really want to be involved as it impeeds their main charitable duties, however they are responsible and restrict what can be built (sheds up to 6' x 4' on provided concrete bases), no greenhouses, no rubbish etc. After the rash of enthusiasts from TV gardening abondoned several plots untended about 5 years ago they put up the deposit to £150 although the rent is just £45 a year. A contractor is used to clear any abandoned plot with the deposit money.
                      We are also blessed in that the community help one another by some digging or Rotavating plots for elderly or infirm plot holders. In general the site is tidy and a monthl;y inspection takes place by the designated Charity officer. He's a gardener himself and very nice to talk to or deal with. The restrictions include no animals (including dogs or chickens) but a beehive was permitted, bonfires certain days only and after a certain time of the evening, sheds must be regular timber construction, no hosepipes but water troughs are provided.
                      For my part I was lucky in that other plot holders had sprayed and strimmed my plot the autumn before I got it so it was at least accessable and the clearup managable.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                        For my part I was lucky in that other plot holders had sprayed and strimmed my plot the autumn before I got it so it was at least accessable and the clearup managable.
                        Your site seems to have a lot of rules, am thankful mine is much more relaxed. I don't care where people put their shed or what it is made of, it's about growing things to eat . Also, I would consider myself to have been very UNlucky to have had a plot that had been sprayed as I, like many other people don't want to have that approach and would much rather have the choice of digging conventionally.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I am secretary of our plots.................you should see the Soweto type village I've just taken on!

PS Meant to add this to the committee privileges post!
                          Last edited by Snadger; 14-04-2016, 07:45 PM.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            This is only my opinion so don't read much into it:

The Councils are trying to save every penny they can so they are not going to fork out to clear the plots.
                            Community Service Schemes IMO are a bad idea, after having them on my previous site, there were break ins.............Coincidence? maybe.
                            A weekend gathering of plotholders may be feasible to bottom any poor plots..........Bad time of year though.
                            The best outcome IMO is to let the new tenant have 1 years free rent.
                            Yes please!
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I was happy to clear mine for a reduction in rent but the site doesn't allow fires at any time and there were a lot of old baths, concrete, old chicken coops etc dumped so I would have appreciated them taking the rubbish away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                                It's a viscous circle Alan.
                                A friend of mine was recently doing an in house COSHH assessment and asked me how the makers COSHH sheet dictated that soft soap was a vicious liquid! I told him it was grossly immoral and depraved

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X