Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

allotments - should be cleared before allocating Y or N?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't there something in the allotment act for the councils to ask the people leaving to pay for the #detriment# to the plot?

Comment

The council could fund a skip if it's very bad andlet the tenant clear it. Unless there's asbestos there then it shouldn't be dangerous.

Comment

I do not know of anybody that i know me included that has got a plot that was not an overgrown jungle

i have had 3 that had not been touched for years, I might be wrong i have known people on our site that have got good plots when they know somebody is leaving and the plot is beautiful.

But the difference between them and me is they are on the committee (look after each other as it were) but they will not take on a plot that is a disgrace as most are.
        only my experience but that happens where i garden

Comment

Isn't it part of the fun/Exitment to be knee deep on your new piece of land to do as you choose
          When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

The other option is for them to be more proactive at inactive plotholders to ensure plots never get very bad.
            Excessive storage of crud on plots is fairly common. I have heard of one case locally where someone was a window fitter and stored all the old windows on his plot before giving it up and leaving! At 60 quid a year it's an incredibly cheap method of disposing of your rubbish.

Comment

Our tenancy says you should leave it in a useable state. Trouble is the reality means that plots are left as they are, after all the plot holder is giving up so what do they care. Fortunately most of our vacant plots tend just to be weedy. One plot was particularly bad so the secretary and I had a big bonfire before it was relet.

Comment

I'm amazed at how many of you are on allotments where plots have been left unattended for so long. I was under the impression that getting an allotment was as rare as getting a beach hut and that waiting lists were sometimes years long!

Comment

Having taken over two really bad plots, I just don't understand why people leave the dross they do and why on earth bury glass and dig holes line them with carpet and then fill with rubble. Andy my plot neighbour cleared the brambles and discovered he had a 8x6 ft shed at the back of his plot that he didn't know was there until he cut his way in like prince charming trying to get the sleeping beauty.
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
                    I'm amazed at how many of you are on allotments where plots have been left unattended for so long. I was under the impression that getting an allotment was as rare as getting a beach hut and that waiting lists were sometimes years long!
                    Ours aren't usually left for long, but they do host an extraordinary amount of gubbins.
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I think pottential plot holders should deffinatley be given the choice
                      I also think that the "yours for life" if you turn up once in a blue moon philosophy is well outdated, the planets too small for games now, if you dont want it give it up.

Comment

This is only my opinion so don't read much into it:

The Councils are trying to save every penny they can so they are not going to fork out to clear the plots.
                        Community Service Schemes IMO are a bad idea, after having them on my previous site, there were break ins.............Coincidence? maybe.
                        A weekend gathering of plotholders may be feasible to bottom any poor plots..........Bad time of year though.
                        The best outcome IMO is to let the new tenant have 1 years free rent.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
                          I'm a site rep and I reported that a person who obtained a plot rent free because it was so covered with dross and overgrown a year last October had done nothing at all by the review time, and at the end of the year when the rents were due I reminded the council officer and suggested she let me show the first on the waiting list of 8 but no she wants to wait until the review in May/June - by that time you can imagine how much more overgrown and weedy it's going to be.
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

It's a viscous circle Alan.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              It's a viscous circle.
                              Is that made by dancing slugs then?

Comment

I knew it dint look right when I typed it Thelma...................

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X