No announcement yet.

vacant allotments

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're from Sunderland LJ where all the shipbuilding was isn't it Snadger cos they used to Mackem - simple really

Nuneaton folks are called Codders - I have know idea why,
    Hinckley (just up the road) were tin hatters - I think they made Tin Hats for WW1 they are also called woolly backs - something to do with sheep, best not ask
    About 4 miles the other way, there's a village called Grendon known locally as cuckoo land as they are supposed to have guilt a wall to keep the ciuckoo in

What rich history we have in this country
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Once again Snadger thanks! We don't have any regional nicknames that I know of.
      [

Comment

Thanks Nick! You learn something new all the time on here.
        [

Comment

Where I grew up (in a little town called Biddulph - on the edge of the potteries) the local nicknames were 'diggers (cos the name comes from the Norman conquest, By Delph - By the earth diggins), hence diggers! Those who lived up on Biddulph Moor were known as woolybacks too, cant imagine why! Townies from Stoke were known as Potters (obvious reasons!) Folks from Congleton were known as Bears (as the town once spent the money that had been saved up for a new church on buying a new bear for the bear baiting, its still known as Beartown locally). Thats all Im aware of from around there!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
            Where I grew up (in a little town called Biddulph - on the edge of the potteries) the local nicknames were 'diggers (cos the name comes from the Norman conquest, By Delph - By the earth diggins), hence diggers! Those who lived up on Biddulph Moor were known as woolybacks too, cant imagine why! Townies from Stoke were known as Potters (obvious reasons!) Folks from Congleton were known as Bears (as the town once spent the money that had been saved up for a new church on buying a new bear for the bear baiting, its still known as Beartown locally). Thats all Im aware of from around there!
            It looks like woollybacks is a collective term for anyone who lives in wild remote areas and wears wellies
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well, it must get lonely
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

i,m from brum and anyone from the black country is called a yam yam as in yam alright

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Haltlepudians were supposed to have hung a monkey during the first world war thinking he was a German spy!
                  If you've ever driven through Teesside you'l realise why they are called smoggies! Used to be predominently steel works, cooling towers smog etc, probably all cleaned up and a nice place to live now though!.!!!
                  No, no, no snadger! it was the napoleonic war. its amazing how many people think it was ww1. we have progressed slightly since then.
                  mind you, we did once put up fishing nets to keep out the plague
                  there are no plants in my garden, only ingredients.

Comment

Surely putting nets up to keep out the plague is only like towns such as Sheffield having signs saying "Nuclear Free Town" as if that'll keep the radiation out............

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

it worked! we had no plague.
                      there are no plants in my garden, only ingredients.

Comment

I notice the Sanddancers are keeping a low profile here.
                        Last edited by Fred Perry; 15-01-2007, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X