I want an lottie,

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want an lottie,

our little town does not have allotments, only common gardens. Is this a dodge to get out of fencing, providing water, sheds,etc.,etc? I think I have found some spare land, (only THINK). I know I can get at least 6 folk interested, and I have a sympathetic councillor on my side. If we persuade them to "give" us the land, is there anything to stop them telling us we can only have common gardens - so avoiding provide the necessary requirements - or, if we ask for allotments, do they have to provide them as lotties, thus fencing, sheds, water, etc., or a grant to get them. I can't seem to find anything legal on this point.
    Thanks to anyone who can throw light on this.
    Ann.

================================================
    There's a pleasure sure in being mad that none but mad-men know. (anon)
    There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

An allotment isn't required to have 'facilities' (fencing, sheds, water, toilets) ... though some do.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I want a lottie

Thanks, two_sheds. I can add this to my list of info.
      Ann.
      ================================================
      There's a pleasure sure in being mad that none but mad men know. (anon)

Comment

We have a boundary fence to three sides of the total site and the rest of it, if not cultivated, would just be grass land. Over the years, it's developed a wide grass path down the middle with 5 plots on either side. Most of the plot holders (including us) have added some sort of fence to deliniate the plot but unless they're keeping chooks there, there's nothingn substantial and not everybody has bothered along the front edge. We don't have any facilities eg loos, power, water etc and any sheds etc are up to us to get and assemble. No allotment committee either which has good and bad points, good that you avoid the pitfall of the petty behaviour which can occur if the people in charge are that way inclined but you also don't get the benefits of a well run comittee either.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I think the legal status of allotments vs common gardens is more to do with notice periods and such like - as others have said, facilities vary enormously from one allotment site to the next (we have water troughs on ours and good fencing, but no electricity or loos).

Have you visited the NSALG website? They seem pretty good on the legal side of things, and joining up could help you to make your case to the council. Our council-owned but privately-run site has a group membership - it only costs a couple of quid a year on top of the rent, and we get the discount seed catalogue from Kings, etc, etc.

Comment

I want a lottie

Thanks. An interesting website.

Annie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X