No announcement yet.

Allotment Rules

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From memory (I *still* don't have my copy of the tenancy agreement!) we've no hosepipes, dogs allowed on leads, and that's about it really. Everyone seems chilled, and I've never seen a hosepipe on the place.

I can't imagine being on a plot where people ignore a "no violence" rule - I'd be bypassing the council and going straight to the police.

Comment

Lottie Rules

I just knew HeyWayne wouldn't be able to resist mentioning 'permanent erections' in this thread.

The rules I was given when taking on my plot were dated 2003 and had a clause stating that plot holders were not allowed to put up a shed. Yesterday I was given a new set of rules, dated 2008, and on these no such restrictions are mentioned. I am hoping that this means the parish council has had a change of heart. I will be contacting them for clarification. It would be great to have a little shed down on the plot.
      It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

We had a nutter on my last allotment site. He was thrown off eventually for pinching stuff from other plots. He used to rush down in March, sow everything - long lines of everything too, so they all came at once. He would lift a whole row of beetroot at once (ok if you're pickling but I doubt he ahd the wherewithall.) and a whole row of lettuce! In October he dug everything up. I remember him saying to me in March "Have you got it all on yet?" as if it was a race. I always had gaps for my beans, courgettes and toms etc. going out in June. In October he used to say "Have you got it all off yet?" No, of course I hadn't. All my winter veg, spring cabbage PSB etc were there. No idea, but that wasn't his fault. Nicking was!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by snuffer View Post
          I just knew HeyWayne wouldn't be able to resist mentioning 'permanent erections' in this thread.
          I have a reputation to keep up.
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

One rule on our site that is effecting me at the moment is the one that says we are not allowed fires between May 1st and October 1st.
            Anyone got any ideas how to get rid of the weeds and rubbish I have dug out, without transport

Comment

hi i live in kent only 6 allotments on our site but the rules are simalar but no hose pipes

Comment

have you contacted the council???

Comment

I just thought I'd go check my tenacy rules & regs - 6 pages of A4 - both sides! I'm suprised we're allowed to draw breath without written permission (expect decision to take 2 months plus).

Happily, the more killjoy rules are dismissed by our rebel allotment officer and ignored by all, especially the no BBQ one!

Comment

Here's the complete list of 'do's & 'don'ts' for Bristol (yawn) :

Do's

You can plant herbs and flowers
                    If your site has gates you MUST always ensure you lock them behind you
                    You can bring your dog on site as long as it's kept on a lead at all times
                    You can have a small lawned area as long as it's regularly mown
                    You MUST erect a clearly visible number board on your plot
                    If you have fruit bushes/trees, etc, you MUST maintain the area around them
                    You must cultivate at least 75% of your plot and keep it free from weeds
                    If you have a shed on your plant you must maintain it in a serviceable condition
                    You MUST pay your allotment rent with 40 days of receiving an invoice
                    If you vacate your plot you must pay any rent owed
                    Always inform the Allotments Team if you change address
                    Permit entry to sheds/structures for allotment staff at any time requested
                    If you vacate your plot you MUST remove all belongings within two weeks

Don'ts

You are not allowed to sublet your plot
                    You are not allowed to use your plot for any trade or business
                    You are not allowed to bring onto or use carpets on allotment plots
                    You are not allowed to bring rubbish onto the site - you may be charged for its removal
                    You are not allowed to block communal pathways/haulingways
                    You are not allowed to wash crops or tools in water troughs
                    You are not allowed to use a hosepipe or a sprinkler to water crops
                    You are not allowed to have smoky bonfires that cause a nuisance, or leave fires unattended
                    You are not allowed to cause a nuisance to other plot holders or neighbouring householders - nuisance could include bad language, getting drunk, playing loud music, racist language etc
                    You are not allowed to go onto other people's plots unless they have given you permission
                    If you have children or young people with you on site they are not allowed to wander around or make a mess
                    You are not allowed to dig up paths between plots
                    You are not allowed to use any form of violence on-site, be it physical or verbal
                    You are not allowed to transfer your tenancy if your site has a waiting-list
                    You are not allowed to give your key to other people or allow them to visit your plot unsupervised

".....most of the do's and don'ts on this document are legal requirements. Failure to abide by these requirements means you are breaking the law!"

Beat that ; )
                    http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
                    http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

I'm still waiting for the do and don't list to arrive, so don't know if i can or can't. But feel sure someone will tell me soon

Comment

Where's the regulations about;

Having to apply for permission for all permanent and non permanent errections
                        (time to decision approx 2 months +)

Not being allowed to have a BBQ (ignored by all)

No removal of soil, minerals etc

Don't have the bit about not letting people visit your plot unaccompanied, please don't tell them that one or my plot will die when I have my two weeks in the sun - bet it'll be on next years dictat....

NO dogs at all

Allotment No. must displayed at all times and can be no bigger than 10" by 4" or 300cm by 100cm (yes, I laughed too)

Sheds should all be in line with the path (and a certain size) Mine was up before they came up with this one....I've invited them to move it themselves!

No family gatherings - we have plots where 6+ people will turn up to tend and then have an illegal BBQ....

Do I have the meanest council in Britain

Comment

Originally posted by greenlung View Post
                          Do's

You can plant herbs and flowers
                          What, you can just plant herbs and flowers... not fruit and veg??

Originally posted by greenlung View Post

Don'ts

You are not allowed to block communal pathways/haulingways
                          Hold on... isn't this what your neighbour is doing?
                          Last edited by Shortie; 18-06-2008, 08:47 PM.
                          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by rogesse View Post
                            Do I have the meanest council in Britain
                            Off topic I know, but thank goodness I'm on a private allotment site. Enfield Council were reeeeeally unhelpful when I was looking for a lottie in Edmonton.

Oh and half the time the right hand doesn't know what the left hand if doing, and neither knows how it picks it's own nose. .... .... or maybe that's just the clinical waste department
                            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

When hubby and I stopped laughing...., I think Enfield should be nominated as the worst!

I'm not often lost for words, but was a bit dumbfounded when I 1st contacted them to ask about putting up a very temporary plastic greenhouse. Apparently I needed permission. The person in charge of allotments told me allotments we're not her 'priority' and she would be away on Wednesday.What she didn't specify was that she would be away on Wednesday for 3 weeks then come back to 'so much paper work' that 'we forgot'

Ooh dear rant, never the less, a thread to shame some councils? (I vote Enfield)

Jane

Comment

The plot next mine put up an electric fence because they had lost their chickens to foxes (although I suspect they were of the 2 legged variety). Placed signs all over it saying it was an electric fence.

But then the council took notice and had a health and safety meeting about it.

One councillor said this was dangerous and could kill someone (think he has watched too many war films). It was pointed out to him that it ran off a car battery.

In the end they decided that the electric fence needed a safety fence around it to stop anything getting electrocuted.

Is it me or is the world going mad?
                                I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X