Gardening - the new rock 'n roll!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening - the new rock 'n roll!

Has anyone else noticed just how mad the press are going for gardening recently? Last weeks Saturday Times had a whole issue featuring celebrity gardeners and just yesterday Jonathan Ross was talking about how much he loves growing veggies!

Bit worried all this "trendy" interest is going to scupper my quest for a spare allotment here in Henley. I've left three messages now for information on joining the "Eco-gym" and no one has got back to me.

Anyone out there got a plot in Henley-on-Thames and can help suggest what I should do next?

Your're absolutely right Doggler.. In the Saturday Times magazine yesterday, Kate Muir says" I have'nt seen a second of telly since I got my allotment" a growing trend indeed!

Comment

Mmm - don't think it's ever going to be the new rock - n - roll Doggler ( or did you miss out on that) but there definately is a move or trend towards gardening. I think it comes from peoples disillusion with the total artificiallity of the world we live in and all its superficial values, and from the pressure of the mad urban life many people have to live. I don't think this trend will go away so hope you find your place soon as I think demand will continue to grow. Have you thought about asking around for someone who wants to share or maybe someone with a big garden who would let you use part in return for grass cutting, garden tidy, holiday care etc. Good luck with the quest.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm afraid I did miss out on the original rock n' roll but I get a glimpse of it when my drunken parents attempt to jive at weddings! Didn't quite miss the Stones though!

I'll give the council a try directly. Might be a bit late for this year but maybe I can get my name down for next year. Kind of want to see what comes of my growing in pots this year. And, it means I can make all my mistakes without seasoned allotmenteers seeing!

Comment

You're right Doggler, we've all made our mistakes, and still making them. Trick is to learn from them and from our successes. Love the Stones.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Its when your own kids tell you that they have really enjoyed doing their recent garden makeover, comparing it with their friends makeovers and are now looking for a larger house so they can have a veg plot.

(I remind them how difficult it was to get them to cut the grass when they were younger.)
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

...and you feel like you want to scream if you hear another celeb type say " I want my children to know that potatoes come out of the ground, not just the supermarket..."

Comment

Chris Evans

Keeps going on about growing veg on "Drive Time" on Radio 2. He even did a bit on moon gardening the other week!

Comment

Did Chris Evans define what he meant by moon gardening as it's not really something you can do periodically when you feel like it. You either do or you don't.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

He had an old guy on (well he sounded wise in any case). He'd been doing it for years. Chris Evans seemed really into it but I'm not sure he does it himself. I just thought it was interesting because of all the posts I've seen on the Grapevine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X