Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bikermike
    replied
    even if you are right, I bet there's others Doing It Wronger...

As long as you are using the space and growing some stuff and not harming the soil, then I don't see it as a problem. If you'd just grassed the whole lot over and not used it, then you would be stopping someone else using it, which would become a bad thing

Leave a comment:

• 1Bee
    replied
    I struggle under the permanent sense that if every square inch isn't sprouting a vegetable I'm Doing It Wrong. thank you.

Leave a comment:

• bikermike
    replied
    I don't see what you've got to feel guilty about it. If there's no waiting list, doubly so.

Leave a comment:

• 1Bee
    replied
    Thankfully there is no committee (just a parish council member who looks after the site) and as long as weeds are kept under control and grass is cut he doesn't mind. It's a very small site, which used to provide growing space to the miners in the cottages in the small village next to it in the middle of a very rural area. There's a mix of veg plots and 'hen pens' and there's no waiting list. The manager is happy with us because even though my plot isn't the neatest or most productive, we turn up and we work hard.

There's no rule about how much needs to be used for growing veg. As long as we're clearly looking after the plot, he's easy. I've discussed with him my wanting to give the boys space to build dens and make mud pies and he offered to help clear the plot...

I'm sorry. I know some of you won't agree with that use of allotment space, and I sympathise with that. But for us, on this site, it's a god send.

I feel a bit guilty. But I'm still going to do it. :-/

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Welcome to your very own Scrapheap Challenge IBee!

Leave a comment:

• Dalrimple
    replied
    congrats 1B +1A = 1 ! 3 weeks ago I also got A to go with B ! its not been used for a year or more so lot of weeding , can dandylions be used for anything good? atb Dal.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Great news. Plant lots of squash and pumpkins and it will look like loads of it is under cultivation!

Leave a comment:

• lottie dolly
    replied
    Congratulations 1AB,you will soon have it licked into shape,when the sun comes out in summer,it will give you more idea of what to do where,good luck.

Leave a comment:

• chris_m
    replied
    Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
    You could always get a pet bee
    Just don't call it Eric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w

Leave a comment:

• ESBkevin
    replied
    Congratulations.

When we first took half a plot (A) 4 years ago someone else was supposed to have (B) but without doing anything to it they pulled out a couple of months later. It was offered to us but as newbies we resisted the urge until we knew what we could manage and needed. I said I would rotavate a couple of times to keep it clean and consider it for the next year if noone else came forward. Well we ended up with the whole lot and enjoy all the space for experiments, no dig beds, compost making/storage etc.
    As a matter of principle we only install infrastucture on the original half so espalier fruit trees, rasperry canes, goosberries, raised beds, shed, etc. The idea being when/if we want to go steady in our doteage, we can release the other half for someone else to use and have all the benefits of an easy to grow half plot.

If you're not ready to grow over all of it yet, cover it in a thick layer of wood chips over cardboard and let nature kill the weeds and fertilise/mineralise ready for when you want to grow maybe next year.

Leave a comment:

• Nannysally99
    replied
    Great news 1Bee, sounds like great family fun

Leave a comment:

• bikermike
    replied
    hooray! I have graduated from 93B to 93 myself this year. Just starting to put some beds in the new acres.
    as you say, loads of room for small people to run around (my lad came down on Saturday and actually did something positively useful (he is only 3) for the first time). Enjoy the new acreage. (just make sure you do something in it to avoid the committee thinking it is Not Being Cultivated...)

Leave a comment:

• 4Shoes
    replied
    Well done... Could always use 1A as the goods entry and 1Bee for the special peoples

Is 1B not always known as the improvement to any property.

Leave a comment:

• bario1
    replied
    Congrats 1Bee, i took on the second half of my plot a couple of years back and i'm loving the extra space.

Leave a comment:

• 1Bee
    replied
    Genius....

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X