Allotment Etiquette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    I have never known a water butt to freeze solid. Maybe an inch or so on the top but that would be no problem as the fish would go to the bottom where the water believe it or not would be warmer, ask any angler.

He's right you know!
    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
      Bob Flowerdew also keeps goldfish in his butt (sorry, couldn't resist) to eat the mosquito larvae and add nitrates.
      I considered it myself but was concerned about winter temps with zero insulation.
      Me too. But I also dont like the idea of the fish swimming around without plants etc and if you are using it and filling it I'd also be worried about temperature changes in the water. If you put a ball ontop they don't freeze so easily though I'd rather them in a tank with some plants, a pump and filter. I'm old fashioned
      Last edited by Scarlet; 31-05-2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Have a search for hose lock...

... perhaps not.

I think a note about refilling should be the next step.
        sigpic
        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          I'd rather them in a tank with some plants, a pump and filter. I'm old fashioned
          Then when you clean them out, simply pour the tank water into the water butt.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

mine definitely froze! Honestly!
            and after it thawed out it had a leak anorl!

I knew that...about the fish going to the bottom....just thought the plants and the silt regulated the temps/oxygen.

Anyhoo...I'm with Scarlet on this one.
            Its no kind of a life is it? Round and round in circles with no plants or rocks (or plastic jellyfish and wind up diver ). It feels too mean for me.
            http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

And no view !!

Comment

I'm loving how the original post has gone off on a tangent! Goldfish in a water butt...whoever knew!

As for my water butt, I've started by moving it to a more secluded spot on the plot. My shed is up next week so I may well hide in it when the next test match starts. A day of playing spot the water thief whilst listening to the cricket and putting up shelves in the shed sounds like a good day to me!

Comment

Why not put the waterbutt inside the shed.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

...along with a goldfish in a tank (for when the cricket's rained off )

Comment

I might purchase the following for a slightly less subtle approach. Should be OK so long as the goldfish don't jump out!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...oEL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...k7L&ref=plSrch

Comment

How about a sign saying "beware of the pyrana" and buy a plastic one to put in the butt.

You could also put some edible dye in it. It's a brave man who waters his plants with pink or black water
                        Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                        Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                        Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                        Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Originally posted by ecudc View Post
                          You could also put some edible dye in it. It's a brave man who waters his plants with pink or black water
                          Now THAT is pure genius!
                          I'm voting for food colouring.....purple food colouring!
                          (so long as you don't grow white chrysanths cos we used to change their colour for wreaths by adding food colouring to their water )

Comment

As clever as it may sound, it's not really feasible. You would need 10-20 bottles to make a difference to a full water butt, then you would have to repeat as it would dilute down when you used it.

Comment

You could add boiled beetroot water or look at natural plant dyes

Comment

Or bung a load of comfrey leaves in it..............they'll run a mile if they are like my old lottie neighbour.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X