No announcement yet.

Feeling Disheartened

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh thanks everyone you are all making me smile with a capital S..... I'm so glad I joined this site you are all fantastic !!!!!

Comment

Hi Settle, i'm in the same boat. my first spring with an allotment. my first ever time gardening in fact. I have NO idea what i'm doing!!!! i've turned over soil, i've cleared weeds, i've built a shed, i've got a little plastic greenhouse. i've planted onion, garlic, parsnip and lettuce, i've got tomatoes, peppers, butternut squash & cucumber in the greenhouse... no idea what I do next!
      My onions and garlic have been taken over by weeds, too many to keep on top of! i clear them then i come back after a couple days and they seem to have doubled!! it's driving me crazy!! i have no idea when my onion and garlic are ready to harvest! I'm a complete mess!!!
      it's fun tho. Now i'm germinating melons! no one else on the allotment has melons hehehe
      Just keep doing what you're doing. if you're enjoying it, thats all that matters.

Comment

Oooh your plot looks GREAT!!!! So neat and tidy and well organised You're doing a great job pet!

I'd only ever grown flowers in pots and containers before I got my allotment in February last year and whilst a lot of it WAS fun I did also have moments of despair and feeling overwhelmed...and yes, also felt like folk would be watching (even though they weren't ). The main thing I learnt was not to let the weeds get too overgrown as they take over and it's soul destroying trying to catch up. Everyone on here was SO friendly and helpful though and always ready to give tips and advice which really helped me SO MUCH. Now I cannot imagine life without my allotment!
        The feeling of growing and cooking your own food is just amazing Far superior to anything in the shops.....and a lot fresher too! This year I'm being more adventurous and growing melons, pumpkins and squashes even though I've never eaten any in my life and may absolutely hate them!!!

I like to chuck in loads of flowers to brighten the plot up too and also bring in the helpful insects - pollinators and predators. If you work with Nature she'll look after you and you'll have a nice balanced plot where pests are kept under control naturally.
        Last edited by Gillykat; 09-05-2016, 05:21 PM.
        If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

well for what its worth settle ,because everyone has already said what i could say ,you are doing a great job ,your allotment looks fab ,your onions are brill they are so much better than mine so you are doing something right girlie dont worry about anyone around you ,just pop into that world of your own ,and plant my motto is pot it ( as i havent got an allotment ) if it grows then great enjoy ,if it doesnt no biggy try next time / year its all a learning curve and abit of fun
          i hope this will make you smile/laugh before i went out yesterday to the malvern show i watered and checked plants fine,when i came home i had lost 3 parsnips seedling which i had planted earlier in the week ,well after i stood there thinking im going to cry i thought no i wont be beaten i went straight into the house grabbed 3 parsnip seeds and popped them in the pot ,gave them a talking too and thought yep i will not be beaten by 3 parsnip seedlings ...youre doing fine girl oh we love photos so thank you
          If i have a thousand ideas and only one turns out good,i am satisfied.- Alfred Nobel

Comment

Fantastic!

It's absolutely marvellous - just don't ever give up - don't give a fig what anyone else does/thinks. Looks like you've got it pretty well sorted, my love!!!
            ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
            a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
            - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Have to agree with everyone, it looks fab, much better than mine.

You should be really proud of what you have achieved.

Comment

Just echoing all the above comments, looks brilliant, keep up the good work................that's my Teachers' voice..............
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

It looks great. Just remember even the most experienced gardeners all had to learn and even the most experienced gardeners have failures.

When we got our plot we were complete novices but amazingly other plotholders sometimes come and ask advice these days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X