No announcement yet.

Feeling Disheartened

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aww dont feel that way, a lot of us are new to this. Ive grown things before but not so much or varied, it could all go wrong but hey... I have not a single thing out yet. I never do til late May into June as being on higher ground and windy it can easy go wrong weather wise. I'm not worried though.

Remember all those who look like they know what they are doing were in our position once upon a time, they had to start from knowing nothing and learning from others.

Chin up
    Northern England.

Comment

Sounds to me (and everyone else on here, it seems) like you're going great guns.

Are you worried the other plot holders are looking at your site and thinking you're getting nowhere or doing it wrong? If you are, you can put that thought out of your head: they're probably looking at your site and thinking "she's doing a better job than the last person" and "on second thoughts, she's doing a better job than lots of us".

Salad germinates quickly and fills a space, especially if you get a cut-and-come again mixed packet of seed. Some edible flowers like nasturtiums also grow fast and make a nice display. Radishes will be on your plate almost before you know it.

And it's getting to time for tender veg soon. Sweetcorn makes a big, dramatic show and everyone loves eating it. Squash plants can fill a football pitch and have lovely looking flowers, as do courgettes, but you don't want to grow too many of those...

You're pretty much in the same boat as me when I started. I learned almost everything from books and off the Internet. And I'm a nincompoop. So if I can manage it, anybody can!

Comment

Ditto everything everyone else has already said.

The good thing about growing stuff is that it's all about learning what works. In order to do that, you will also find out what doesn't.

You're on a new learning curve and it sounds to me that you're doing flipping well! Don't be self conscious. Before you know it you'll soon feel more comfortable and at home.

Oh and save your cardboard now, it's great for covering up the bits you're not ready to work on just yet and helps keep the weeds down.

Comment

It's your space so do with it as you will, (within reason and the law!). Smile and nod when given unwanted advice. Sounds like you're doing a great job. Are you sure you aren't the only female on the site? Ours is pretty much 50:50 as are lots these days. Anyway what does it matter if you are the only female, at least everyone will know who you are. Take photos and you will be amazed at your progress through the year.
          What to plant now? I bought a stay of supermarket sale leaves for £1, hardened them off for a bit and planted them out. Cheaper than a tray from the garden centre. Not a new idea but worth passing on.

Comment

I feel you Settle. I'm a 30 year old mum of 3 boys. I'm neighbour to a man with prize winning dahlias. He grows them with heads the size of footballs. He takes 2 a year to shows and spends the week before a show sleeping with them at the allotment. He has underground heating to keep them warm in winter run by his Woodburner. All makes me feel very inferior and daft digging up my weeds 😂

Don't lose heart keep going. Like you said it's for you no-one else xx

Comment

Looking Good

Hope I've attached photo right but I'm feeling great today, out in the sun and planted my beans and peas so all happy today... Thanks for all your advice and support everyone
              xx

Attached Files
              Last edited by veggiechicken; 09-05-2016, 11:31 AM. Reason: Flipping photo :)

Comment

Hopefully these aren't upside down!!!

Attached Files
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 09-05-2016, 11:35 AM. Reason: Flipping photo :)

Comment

Originally posted by Settle View Post
                  I seem to be looked at like I'm mad trying to do it myself
                  I think you are being looked at as they are amazed you are doing so well on your own. Your plot looks fab, just keep doing what you are doing and you will be just fine

Comment

I've edited your photos.
                    If you take them landscape or crop the vertical ones, they should load the right way up.
                    I use Picture Manager to edit mine first before posting.

Comment

You have a beautifully maintained plot Settle. I'd be happy if mine was half as good!

Comment

Looks beautiful, you can pop over and help me with mine as you don't seem to have any weeds to play with!

Comment

Believe you me its the photo angle there are lots of weeds but less than there was this morning... Luckily I have a week off work, husband away and kids at school so I'm being positive and having me time... Allotment everyday I think!!!����

Comment

Ha! You're still doing good if a photo angle can hide the weeds

Comment

Now then Young Lady!!!!!....* clears throat....

Less of this disheartened milarky!

That is one very super plot you have there...it really is , so hat's off to you lass, you should be puffing up your chest with pride- I imagine there will be a lot of fellow plot holders who are more than impressed with what you are doing.
                              And for the record- you're well ahead of me!

Well done you.
                              And- enjoy the rest of the week on there!

Oh...and here- have a look at our 2015 competition- it'll be much the same this year- click on the green titles to see all the entries.
                              That may be something to work towards too???

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...how_87368.html
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Absolutely agree with everyone's comments above, especially Nicos's.

I bet everyone's looking at your plot to see if they can learn a lesson or two. It looks fantastic.

Congratulations!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X