No announcement yet.

Just saying hi!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bex, welcome to the vine from another Essex allotmenteer. Have fun with your new plot!
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

And hello and welcome from me too. Enjoy the vine
      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
        Hi Bex and welcome. Great to see your piccy! I think your lottie looks lovely and is that your shed at the end?
        Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

Unfortunately the shed isn't mine, it belongs to the other half of the plot. I don't know if he originally had the whole thing & gave half up. Apparently he is happy for me to use it - as he only lives round the corner to me, I should really go knock & double check!

Comment

Welcome Bex! I grow in a tiny back garden so very jealous of your space!

Keep us updated with your progress

Comment

Originally posted by PyreneesPlot View Post
            And hello and welcome from me too. Enjoy the vine
            I don't know honestly how well it will do, it's only about knee height, and was supported (sort of) by some bamboo canes. Now my dad has grape vines in his garden & they are huge! They probably extend 7-8ft out when in summer growth, and are supported on wires. This one is next to the strawberry bed, sort of marooned in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Hello again Bex, just to clarify any confusion, the forum is also known as "The Vine or The Grapevine" the members are also called " Grapes" amongst other things..........enjoy.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi Bex and welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Hello again Bex, just to clarify any confusion, the forum is also known as "The Vine or The Grapevine" the members are also called " Grapes" amongst other things..........enjoy.
                  Doh... Of course it is.... 😊

Comment

You must have thought we knew everything about your plot
                    We will do soon

Comment

Here you go this might help http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ses_86211.html I struggled with what people were saying when I first joined and was to embarrased to ask, especially SWMBO

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                        Here you go this might help http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ses_86211.html I struggled with what people were saying when I first joined and was to embarrased to ask, especially SWMBO
                        Thank you, that's really useful!

Comment

Hi Bex *waves* Congrats on getting your allotment I'm sure you'll have YEARS of fun with it! I got mine in February 2015 and *despite the weeds and slugs* it's been THE most satisfying, fun thing I have ever done Poor husband Neil....he knows he's third in my affections now....after the allotment and our two cats

Roll on the Spring so we can get cracking again....you'll soon get your plot knocked into shape I'm sure. One thing I learnt was not to try and do a huge bed in one go (and kill myself!) but to take a day or three over it - little and often - and it's amazing how quickly everything starts to look good

Take regular photos too...just so you can see how far you've come and it'll raise your spirits when you're struggling with a particularly annoying clump of couch grass (or sow thistle in my plot's case!!!) that just won't go away!
                          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Thank you! I'm very excited about it all. No one in my family has ever had an allotment, so I am completely new to it. I only put my name down on a whim!

The raised beds arrived yesterday, now just need to decide whether to stain them or not. The putting together will be my OH job, along with various other building projects
                            I've also put the word around that I'm on the scrounge for slabs etc.

As its freezing out, I'm going to have a nice afternoon looking through my allotment books and seed catalogs. All the bits I've already bought are in a large storage crate, ready to be taken to the allotment.

Comment

Just a little update...

More to see how far I have come!
                              So two-thirds of the plot is cleared/dug over. We've put a path in by the shed, and a small patio/work area. Part of the fence needs to be repaired (probably at easter) and a wood chipping path laid along the length of it.
                              The raised beds will be located down near the shed, as that area seems to be quite clay-y soil. The rest will be worked in traditional rows I think, with the intention of eventually being all raised beds, as funds allow.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bex

I'm a forum newbee as well so link to the glossary has helped me out as reading through the past posts made me scratch my head at times about what people meant. When I first looked at the posts I thought they were ages old, then the penny dropped that the date was in fact the date they joined the forum derrrrr.

Gratz on getting your plot, from the pics you more or less have a blank canvas to stamp your mark on it. and well done on making a start to the clearance. Mine had a lot of couch grass in (its called twitch where I come from). Only real way of getting rid is turning the soil over and hitting the lump with the spade to break it up and leaving it for a good couple of weeks for the grass to die, then digging it over again with a fork so you can get the grass roots removed easier.

Looking forward to seeing it develop further.
                                The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X