New Allotment Tenant!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi and welcome.

I have just started on a my plot and fenced it off this week, built some beds, now the digging is about to commence.

You've started a bit before me, so Ive subscribed to this thread to watch your progress and collect some valuable tips.
    82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Originally posted by dilettante View Post
      Pictures, man!
      Here we go, just a quick one from the weekend!
      Attached Files

Comment

So, after nearly a week away from the plot, I took a quick trip down last night to check things over and got a very pleasant surprise!!

This little fellow was poking through the soil!! It's a red onion that was planted only a week before.

So excited! Although I was very surprised to see it come through so quick!!
        Attached Files

Comment

Well done so far.

As winter approaches and with the dark nights on us as we get home from work, evenings in the plot quickly become a distant memory and so any work done at the plot has to be crammed into any available time at the weekend.

Do try to get a goodly part of the plot dug over before the winter frosts are here. Dig as roughly as you like and just leave any clods for the weather to break down. That way, nature will be doing part of the heavy work for you. I know it is hard and unrewarding at this time of year but you really will benefit in the spring time.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            Well done so far.

As winter approaches and with the dark nights on us as we get home from work, evenings in the plot quickly become a distant memory and so any work done at the plot has to be crammed into any available time at the weekend.

Do try to get a goodly part of the plot dug over before the winter frosts are here. Dig as roughly as you like and just leave any clods for the weather to break down. That way, nature will be doing part of the heavy work for you. I know it is hard and unrewarding at this time of year but you really will benefit in the spring time.
            Thanks Aberdeen,
            I know what you mean, with the hours I work during the week there's no chance of any work getting done down there during the week! so i'll be limited to 3 to 4 hours at the weekend for the time being.

I'm just glad I've got that one bed in and dug over / planted just to give me something to look at when I go down every week.

is it worth pulling out all the weeds as I dig it over or should I leave it for a bit to let the weather break the soil down so it's easier?

thanks

Comment

Annual weeds can be left but pernicious weeds, nettles, dock, couch etc would best be taken out

Comment

New Allotmenter as well

Hello,
                I have a new allotment. It was covered in weeds and rubbish to start with. Got rid of the rubbish, and am taking it little by little, I have cleared a few areas and have planted some onions and garlic.
                I was lucky as the previous owner left me some runner beans - which were lovely, some strawberries and some blackberries and rhubarb.
                I don't have that much time to spend down there, so I though clearing section by section would be best, then people can see I am making an effort. I have ordered my potatoes for next year already, and will plant those as soon as possible.

I was wondering how do other people start off their plot when they have it all cleared of weeds? Do you take it section by section? Or do you plant everything at once and hope that it all flourishes.

I like to garden organically, and won't use any chemicals. I don't mind weeding as pulling them out is somewhat satisfactory (am I odd??)

Does anyone have a plot in Dorset?

Thanks for listening

Comment

I would imagine it all depends what you wish to grow as different veg gets planted out at different times so in answer to your question, for me it's section by section.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by topsytoole View Post
                    Hello,
                    I have a new allotment. It was covered in weeds and rubbish to start with. Got rid of the rubbish, and am taking it little by little, I have cleared a few areas and have planted some onions and garlic.
                    I was lucky as the previous owner left me some runner beans - which were lovely, some strawberries and some blackberries and rhubarb.
                    I don't have that much time to spend down there, so I though clearing section by section would be best, then people can see I am making an effort. I have ordered my potatoes for next year already, and will plant those as soon as possible.

I was wondering how do other people start off their plot when they have it all cleared of weeds? Do you take it section by section? Or do you plant everything at once and hope that it all flourishes.

I like to garden organically, and won't use any chemicals. I don't mind weeding as pulling them out is somewhat satisfactory (am I odd??)

Does anyone have a plot in Dorset?

Thanks for listening
                    Covering with cardboard now will give you a reasonably clean plot for planting in the spring!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Don't be in too much of a hurry to plant your potatoes as they are frost tender. Most people seem to plant from mid March, obviously depending on location. I suspect in the South West you could get away with an early planting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X