No announcement yet.

Feeding/watering tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watering? Feeding?! My plants are currently only dreaming of such things. It was intentional though, I definitely knew it was a good idea to stop watering at this time of year... honest

Comment

I stopped feeding about 3+ weeks ago just two weeks after I took the tops out. I water on through yet though, variations in water can cause splits in the fruit. Those outside would be impossible to dry out if it rained. whatever fruit I get can be ripened on a windowsil later.

Comment

JMCKG - I've merged this thread with a similar one from last year

Comment

Originally posted by JMCKG View Post
          This is a Quote from somewhere:-

" One tip that I’ve always found helpful, although a little counterintuitive, is to stop watering tomato plants mid to late summer. “Stop watering,” you say. “That’s seems silly.” Here is the reasoning.

Tomatoes work hard to grow new green foliage all through the growing season. The more water you give the plant (and nutrients), the larger it will continue to grow. As soon as you stop watering the plant, the plant begins to realize that it is coming to the end of the season and begins to focus on producing fruit rather than growing new foliage. When you stop watering the tomato plants, the fruit will ripen quicker too."
          Last year you quoted this advice. I've traced the source to Stop Watering Those Tomatoes! - Togetherfarm
          The paragraph after your quote says:-

"The reality is that this does not work with all tomato plants. If you grow your tomato plants in smaller containers, then you need to keep watering them well throughout. The plant cannot survive without a deep root system. If a tomato plant is marked by the nursery as a variety that is suitable for container gardening, then chances are you will need to water it evenly throughout the grow season."

Does that answer your question?

Comment

It makes complete sense. When grown in the ground (indoors or outdoors) the tomatoes should grow a large rootball with deep roots to get water and shallow roots for nutrients. (This is why you shouldn't water too much when the plants are first transplanted so that the plant grows a decent rootball trying to find water). When you stop watering, the tomato is unable to take up nutrients but continues to get water from deeper down.

In a container, there are no deep roots so the plant will not be able to take up the minimal amount of water it needs to continue. So, you should keep watering (a small amount) but try to water from the bottom rather than the top.

Comment

Originally posted by JMCKG View Post
              Been suggested that it's best to stop watering/feeding tomatoes at this time of years as it increases the speed of ripening and produces better tasting fruit. I water and feed right up till the end. Any views on this? Is it nonsense?
              I do the same. I have one of those battery operated watering systems connected to the hose and it waters for 3 minutes twice a day. I also hand water with feed twice a week. Doesn't seem to do any harm and it hasn't prevented the fruit ripening. I also have new flowers ready to set in mid September so the growth is continuing a well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X