i got myself a half allotment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
    Get those docks cut and put into a black compost sack and left for a few years.
    This looks like my 1/2 allotment when I got it. I actually put weedkiller (glysophate)on the grass growing which you seem to have a lot of it, as I did on mine. After a few weeks it was dying off and much easier to remove. It does not affect the soil at all so its safe on allotments.

People kept telling me not to try to do all of it at once. This was really good advise as even with a half plot it is daunting.

By the way... there's an apple on the grass
    Last edited by Gilberd; 21-09-2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

There's apples everywhere, I managed to strim one and spray apple sauce up my shins.
      I'm loath to use chemicals if I'm honest and don't mind the exercise of doing it by hand.
      Went out and bought a hand scythe today

Comment

It's some sort of cherry for sure, but until it fruits I don't think you'll know if you want it - some are ornamental and not so good to eat.

Lots of good tips above for clearing ground. It's a lot of work at first as the weeds grow back - a hoe is the quickest easiest way to keep on top of them (unless you've got a flame-thrower... which I wouldn't really recommend). It really does get easier tho.

As for machetes, I've seen people work wonders with them.

I'd say try anything, see what works for you, and what you prefer.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam.k View Post
          Ok pictures
          It's been,hacked back a bit now
          That's a hell of a shed your building in that first picture.!!

And yes its a cherry.... looks a bit of a wild one, they tend to get very big. I suggest you decide soon if you want to keep it.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

if its not going to fruit I don't imagine its much use staying there I guess.
            my brother informed me today that he has a shed full (an actual shed full) of timber to make raised beds from so looks like that's more money saved.

Comment

Don't be sentimental to anything. If you don't want or need it just get rid.
              sigpic

Comment

ok so after some tidying, today we look like

on its way!
                ive uncovered 2 goodberry bushes, you can just make them out in the second picture, can mature gooseberries be moved?

Comment

If poss, move them when they are dormant.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

so lots of digging these past few days, ive dug out a 3x7 foot bed for some garlic and onions to go in, also starting work on the first of the beds for next year.
                    ive also decided I would like a berry patch, blackberries, raspberries and the such. whens the best time to plant them?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X